For crying out loud, can MLB please implement an electronic strike zone already?

weams

He equivocated. He said "If an ump thinks it touched the black, then he's going to call you out and I think this was the case." But he said it was a ball after the overhead view.

I see, then I stand corrected on what Palmer said. However, the photos you posted show clearly that it was on the black and so does the pitch FX. :) Anyway, I don't wanna argue with you again, bud. Especially not on

something like this, so we'll just agree to disagree. :)

It seems so. I'm not sure what you think that black line that goes along the outside edge of the plate is if it's not the black of the plate, though. The ball brushes that black line. I can't see how you say it's two inches

off the black.

Please don't insult me. I've seen more baseball than you've been alive.

Edit: I see you were nice in a message that crossed. Cheers.

Edited by NashLumber
Apology.

Please don't insult me. I've seen more baseball than you've been alive.

It's not an insult at all, but years of baseball knowledge aren't necessary for this. The black edge of the plate is clearly visible and the ball clearly touches it. There is no dirt between the ball and the black, therefore it

touched it. I don't know why you would take that as an insult? It's pretty clear in the photo. The same edge is on the other side only not as prominent (covered with a little dirt).

It's not an insult at all, but years of baseball knowledge aren't necessary for this. The black edge of the plate is clearly visible and the ball clearly touches it. There is no dirt between the ball and the black, therefore it

touched it. I don't know why you would take that as an insult? It's pretty clear in the photo. The same edge is on the other side only not as prominent (covered with a little dirt).

Posts crossed. Back up one.

I see it now. The edit wasn't there when I replied. I didn't mean for that to come off as an insult as it most certainly wasn't.

We're fine. I think we both got a little hot. We were posting so fast, that I missed your reply and you missed mine and I went back to edit to show my apology.

You are contending though that the black is a part of home plate? It isn't. The term "touched the black" has been used forever in the game, but the plate itself is 17" across and what Palmer was referring to is that if the ump is feeling generous, he'll give the pitcher the black as a strike. The black is 3/4" of an inch around the plate but not included in the strike zone. I am guilty of exaggerating that it looked 2" outside, but if it edged the very back of the black of the plate on its path, to my eyes and probably Joe Angel's (alluded to earlier by another poster), it looked outside. I was off by 1.25 of an inch of my 2" outside proclamation before rewinding and taking the pics. By the book ,it was a ball and that's what Palmer was alluding to.

Edited by NashLumber
added link

We're fine. I think we both got a little hot. We were posting so fast, that I missed your reply and you missed mine and I went back to edit to show my apology.

You are contending though that the black is a part of home plate? It isn't. The term "touched the black" has been used forever in the game, but the plate itself is 17" across and what Palmer was referring to is that if the ump is feeling generous, he'll give the pitcher the black as a strike. The black is 3/4" of an inch around the plate but not included in the strike zone. I am guilty of exaggerating that it looked 2" outside, but if it edged the very back of the black of the plate on its path, to my eyes and probably Joe Angel's (alluded to earlier by another poster), it looked outside. I was off by 1.25 of an inch of my 2" outside proclamation before rewinding and taking the pics. By the book, it was a ball and that's what Palmer was alluding to.

That's interesting. It's odd then that there's so much talk of "painting the black" as being a virtue for pitchers. "Painting the black" is described as throwing the ball over the edge of the plate on mlb's "basic baseball lingo"

page as well. Odd as well considering throwing the ball over the plate is a strike. I guess this is another one of those gray areas. I've always heard that "painting the black" of the plate was a good thing and I've never

once seen or heard that disputed.

I think it's mainly used to describe a pitcher with good control and someone who can throw one at the edge of the plate or the illusion of the edge as opposed to grooving it down the middle where it's going to get clobbered. As mentioned in the article and using the Lou Brock example, the black is beveled and in more cases than not, under dirt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it's mainly used to describe a pitcher with good control and someone who can throw one at the edge of the plate or the illusion of the edge as opposed to grooving it down the middle where it's going to get clobbered. As mentioned in the article and using the Lou Brock example, the black is beveled and in more cases than not, under dirt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The edge of the zone especially when a mid to upper 90's fastball is involved. In video games, it's always when the ball is right at the edge of the strike zone; "on the black". I remember one such comment I heard in a

baseball video game was something like "99 on the black; someone call the cops, you can't hit that!" Anyway, thanks for the clarification on that.

The edge of the zone especially when a mid to upper 90's fastball is involved. In video games, it's always when the ball is right at the edge of the strike zone; "on the black". I remember one such comment I heard in a

baseball video game was something like "99 on the black; someone call the cops, you can't hit that!" Anyway, thanks for the clarification on that.

Anytime.

Yeah, it's just a informal term that has been used forever for someone with good control. Has nothing to do with the rule book. Good pitchers don't groove one down the middle unless they think they can overpower someone who can't handle their fastball. It's why you don't hang curves, sliders or cutters right down the middle. The edge of the black itself per the rule book is outside 3/4 an inch beyond the 17" specified for the plate's top border.