vs. ROYALS, 4/23

Sessh

They do count.

Look up any pitcher's statistics, and he has runs on his record, both earned and unearned.

2 other posters have already told you that you are wrong.

You are really being annoying.

They don't count towards his statistics. They are meaningless because they were not the fault of the pitcher. That's why they are subtracted. I fail to understand the gap in reasoning.

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Unearned runs are charged to the team. By definition, unearned runs are not the fault of the pitcher and are therefore not counted against him. Runs the pitcher is responsible for count against him statistically. *shrugs*

They still keep track of them, but they mean absolutely nothing for a pitcher because they were not his fault and therefore not his responsibility. That's why they don't count; he wasn't responsible for them being on base.

It's not really "opinion". :P

You're making a weird semantical argument here. You said "they don't count," but they literally do count, thats why there is a column on the stat sheet for them. They don't count against his ERA per se, but they still happened. If a pitcher leaves in an inning with a baserunner that reached via error and that runner comes around to score (after 2 outs lets say, to keep it simple) that run goes on the previous pitchers record. So you will see a pitcher that gave up 7 runs in a game but only 4 of them earned. Something I think especially comes into play when talking about MILB pitchers.

They don't count towards his statistics. They are meaningless because they were not the fault of the pitcher. That's why they are subtracted. I fail to understand the gap in reasoning.

Last year I actually argued with another poster who actually claimed that when a team was 4 and a half games behind another, they were not mathematically 4 and a half games behind. Mathematically, he said that they were not 4 and a half games back.

You are being just as incorrigible. And I am being just as stupid for actually entertaining your nonsense.

You're making a weird semantical argument here. You said "they don't count," but they literally do count, thats why there is a column on the stat sheet for them. They don't count against his ERA per se, but they still happened. If a pitcher leaves in an inning with a baserunner that reached via error and that runner comes around to score (after 2 outs lets say, to keep it simple) that run goes on the previous pitchers record. So you will see a pitcher that gave up 7 runs in a game but only 4 of them earned. Something I think especially comes into play when talking about MILB pitchers.

Look, I know that unearned runs show up on a pitcher's stat sheet. They are subtracted because they were not the responsibility of the pitcher. They represent runs scored that were not the pitcher's fault and were the

result of defensive errors committed behind him and not due to the pitcher allowing hits. The runs are tallied and I said as much. If the pitcher was responsible for them, why are they subtracted from his ERA? Why even

make a distinction between the two? It's not semantics. They are subtracted from his ERA for a reason; they were not his fault.

JFC, they do count to his statistics! It's 17 columns over on BBRef. Right next to ER is R. The difference between the two are the unearned runs he allowed.

You're wrong, dude. They may not count against the pitchers ERA, but they do count as a run allowed. If a pitcher gives up 3 unearned runs, and his team loses, he gets that loss. Those runs do count against him.

Just let it go.

Archived