Britton explains why Arrieta flourished in Chicago

BillickFan

It's a shame because as a kid (80s) the O's were always touted as having one of the best development systems. I don't know what happened from the 90s on but it really went down the toilet. Not a highlight of the Angelos reign, to be sure.

That was just a legacy of the 1970s. The system was painfully thin just about the moment Cal was promoted.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know everyone would disagree but this is another reason why i think Britton would make a great starter. Yes he's a great stopper but as Palmer says, if you are a starter you can always go back to being a reliever (but not the other way around). Would love to see Britton getting another shot at being a starter. A great starter to me is more important than a great stopper.

Arrieta is a huge black eye on this organization. Specifically player development with pitchers. The only way to improve things is to develop one or two of our own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's no way around it. We have to accept it and own it - and hope the organization improved by learning from it.

Pretty damning statement from Zach. Adair may have certainly been part of the problem with Arrieta, but not the entire problem. I also believe Arrieta just needed a change of scenery, a fresh start somewhere. There were a lot of of good arms that have come through the system and not one of them have become a TOR at the major league level.

In fact, who was the last starter for the Orioles who was drafted and developed into an All-Star starter? Tillman made the All-star team but he wasn't drafted by us. He was basically developed though so he's the closest since what, Mike Mu$$ina?

Pretty damning statement from Zach. Adair may have certainly been part of the problem with Arrieta, but not the entire problem. I also believe Arrieta just needed a change of scenery, a fresh start somewhere. There were a lot of of good arms that have come through the system and not one of them have become a TOR at the major league level.

In fact, who was the last starter for the Orioles who was drafted and developed into an All-Star starter? Tillman made the All-star team but he wasn't drafted by us. He was basically developed though so he's the closest since what, Mike Mu$$ina?

But Cito prevented his entry - so no one? :scratchchinhmm: ;)

Bedard wasn't an an "All-Star" but was legit.

"Although he played for a losing team, B?dard's individual performance put him among those shortlisted to contend for the American League Cy Young Award.[10] Then-teammate Kevin Millar stated that B?dard "probably has the best curveball in baseball."[11] B?dard broke the franchise single-season strikeout record on August 26. The previous record was held by Mike Mussina, who had 218 in 1997.[6]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/?rik_B?dard

The Cutter.

My understanding of the 'no cutter' rule is about development. They don't want young arms developing in the minors relying on the cutter for two reasons:

1. Increased injury risk of slip pitches

2. Young pitchers can use the cutter as a crutch instead of mastering the fastball

FanGraphs did a piece in 2012 on this. They debunk Duquette statistically, but this is key:

Another assertion of his might be the ?real? reason that the Orioles are declining to teach to the pitch in the minor leagues. Duquette states that developing the cutter takes away from time spent developing better pitches, but also that throwing the cutter leads to lowered arm strength and less fastball velocity. In an excellent article on Baseball America ($), Ben Badler did find many scouts that agreed with this sentiment. Most agreed with a caveat: if it?s thrown correctly (and has about the same velocity as his four-seam fastball), they think it?s a fine pitch that can help a pitcher iron out platoon issues by giving them a pitch with movement to the glove side. Others are more pessimistic and think it?s ?hard on the arm? like the last pitch-du-jour, the split-finger fastball. Testing these ideas is as difficult as classifying the cutter.

I'm fine with throwing about 80% of the Arrieta blame on Adair.

At least Britton throws some love toward Wally and Dom, those guys seem popular with the current pitching staff.

It's actually kind of nice to hear an Orioles player admit there was an issue, but do so without really causing a bunch of drama. Clearly a few guys felt Adair's methods were a problem, and they were probably right.

I think Jake should shoulder a lot more than 20% of the blame.

In the real world your bosses want you to do things a certain way, you do it that way. You don't let it consume you.

I'm not saying the changes were a good idea but it always looked to me like Jake was fighting the O's every step of the way.

http://mlb.nbcsports.com/2016/04/25/zach-britton-the-orioles-took-away-the-individual-approach-to-everything/

The O's (Rick Adair) took away individualism. How many good arms, and years, were wasted???

Jake had many chances in Baltimore. He tanked. Sorry but I don't believe it all

falls on a PC not letting him throw a cutter. Jake needed a change of scenery.

It's very easy place all the blame on someone else. I will sure be glad when all

this news about Jake fades away. I guess it never will as long as Jake has

success with the Cubs. IMO

Archived