PED Suspensions Coming

Sessh

19 hours ago, theocean said:

Maybe. I think the tide had turned before then. Media coverage of BALCO and Canseco's book really played a big deal. That sparked congressional hearings in 2005. The Mitchel Report was commissioned in March 2006. Bonds had just missed the entire 2005 season and wasn't even at 700 home runs yet. I remember many people were even wondering if Bonds could still play due to his injuries. The PEDs definitely helped him prolong his career.

I feel like Palmeiro's finger-wag and then being suspended shortly after hitting 3,000 in 2005 was a big deal. Sammy Sosa forgetting English at the congressional hearings was also something the late-night-shows could latch onto.

By the time Bonds broke the record, I think pretty much everyone cared.

I still think it was the records.  Mostly.  But some was the scope of what was happening, and that wasn't obvious before.  In 1999 you could plausibly say most players didn't do anything. But then it came out that well, yea, probably 50%, 75% of the league at least tried steroids or similar.  It came out that greenie coffee pots had been nearly universal since at least the 1970s.  We started to see lots of 35-year-olds play better than they had at 27.  24-year-old middle relievers in the Midwest League getting popped a 2nd or 3rd time. Then Bonds' video game numbers.  That and Sosa/McGwire really turned the public opinion.  Now we can't go back, I think you'd see revenues decline quite a bit if baseball said PEDs were no big deal and we're going back to not testing.  Plus law enforcement and the government would get involved.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I still think it was the records.  Mostly.  But some was the scope of what was happening, and that wasn't obvious before.  In 1999 you could plausibly say most players didn't do anything. But then it came out that well, yea, probably 50%, 75% of the league at least tried steroids or similar.  It came out that greenie coffee pots had been nearly universal since at least the 1970s.  We started to see lots of 35-year-olds play better than they had at 27.  24-year-old middle relievers in the Midwest League getting popped a 2nd or 3rd time. Then Bonds' video game numbers.  That and Sosa/McGwire really turned the public opinion.  Now we can't go back, I think you'd see revenues decline quite a bit if baseball said PEDs were no big deal and we're going back to not testing.  Plus law enforcement and the government would get involved.

The Mitchell Report was Congressional and because of the Antitrust Exemption. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. There doesn't have to be an anti-trust exemption for Congress to investigate something.

If I remember that was a hammer for MLB to cooperate fully. I may be mistaken. 

On 6/22/2019 at 8:03 AM, weams said:

No you are good with your knowledge on this. We do know though that performance is enhanced with more testosterone, natural or not? 

If you are talking specifically about the global dosing of testosterone, then yes. But when you get into therapies that are highly specific to certain tissues, then the global regulation and feedback chains to produce functional muscle may not be activated.

With respect to gummies and lozenges, teams keep on top of that. Those are almost assuredly sugar, vitamin B, or caffeine jellies. Lozenges and snuff packs are primarily caffeine. Coffee snuff is everywhere and has been for awhile. I think Steve Johnson had a side deal on that back in the day.

Thinking that these are PED delivery I would think would be something that would have been more accurate a decade ago. More and more PED use tends to avoid in game dosage because cameras are everywhere these days.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, jsbearr said:

If you are talking specifically about the global dosing of testosterone, then yes. But when you get into therapies that are highly specific to certain tissues, then the global regulation and feedback chains to produce functional muscle may not be activated.

I was talking specifically globally. But you know far more about this.

6 minutes ago, jsbearr said:

With respect to gummies and lozenges, teams keep on top of that. Those are almost assuredly sugar, vitamin B, or caffeine jellies. Lozenges and snuff packs are primarily caffeine. Coffee snuff is everywhere and has been for awhile. I think Steve Johnson had a side deal on that back in the day.

Thinking that these are PED delivery I would think would be something that would have been more accurate a decade ago. More and more PED use tends to avoid in game dosage because cameras are everywhere these days.

Yes. Those are older photos and stories. Even the Biogenics is ancient history now. 

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

It's fairly amazing that you can be on hard drugs, at least on and off, for 30 years and still be alive and not in jail up to now.

In 2006, he did 8 months in jail and somehow avoided any incarceration in 2010 after crashing car under the influence with 5 year old son in car.  I just watched a great biopic of both he and Darryl Strawberry, who have both had their time in jail.  Judd Apatow* directed the saga and it was poignant and well done!  Strawberry seems to have finally gotten on the right track but as we know it's "one day at a time" forever.

https://www.tmz.com/2019/07/12/dwight-gooden-arrested-for-cocaine-possession/

*  http://www.espn.com/30for30/film?page=DocandDarryl

This made me go and watch Doc's no hitter on Youtube. Bit of a strange no hitter that was almost foiled in the first inning. Six walks, didn't have command at the beginning or end of the game. Gooden had one hell of a curveball, though. I'd forgotten how good it was. He basically threw a no hitter with two pitches. This M's lineup had Griffey, A-Rod, Martinez and Buhner.

..and for any gluttons of punishment, I am watching Nomo's second no hitter as well which was, of course, against the Orioles. Anderson, Bordick, Ripken, Segui et al and Ponson on the mound. Always liked Nomo and love watching these time capsules. I don't know why, but always paid attention to the unique pitching deliveries and batting stances when I was a kid and I love being able to see all that again as well. For the gluttons: