April 25th-26th @ Chicago

McNulty

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know you're not necessarily espousing that view yourself' date=' but I would have to think the expected runs you gain by PHing there is greater than the expected runs you save with slightly better defense for the next three innings.[/quote']

With 2-outs, not so sure... plus, we've already got the lead, which changes the equation...

...Same with Luke. If the game is tied or we're down, I absolutely pinch hit, but not when we're winning in the 7th.

I would say that there cannot exist a better time to pinch hit than that. Bases loaded and two outs. If we end up in a more "clutch" situation later, like bases loaded and two outs in a tie game, it is partially due to the fact that we didn't take advantage of this moment by PHing.

So, I guess Burres is pitching well huh? I can just envision that curve baffling hitters as I follow the game on gamecast. Stupid DirecTV with their Saturday morning blackouts *grumble curse curse*

It has nothing to do with DirecTV. It's because of MLB's deal with FOX.

FOX NETWORK BLACKOUT INFORMATION: For every Saturday of the regular season, the FOX Television Network has the exclusive national rights to broadcast games up until 7:00pm ET (4:00pm PT). So, while you will not receive Major League Baseball games on your MLB EXTRA INNINGS channels any of those Saturday mornings or afternoons, you will receive the available Saturday night games that begin after 7:00pm ET (4:00pm PT). For Saturday morning and afternoon games, check out the FOX Network local schedule.

Yeh, I wouldn't be comfortable pinch hitting Ramon there because we're up 2-0 and he is our back up catcher if something happens to Quiroz. Same with Luke. If the game is tied or we're down, I absolutely pinch hit, but not when we're winning in the 7th.

I understand but disagree with your logic regarding Quiroz. I take the chance that Quiroz doesn't get injured in the next 2 innings for a much better batter up with the bases loaded.

Scott though...I mean Fahey and Huff can play LF.

You're missing my point. We're leading in the game. We needed 9 more outs w/o giving up 2 or more runs. More runs would have been nice, but they weren't necessary to win at that point. You don't get extra points for winning 4-0 instead of 2-0.

BTW, my original post made it seem that I would have played it the same way. I'm not sure what I would have done, but I can see what he was thinking. I was just trying to explain what I thought was going through his head.

Such a DT apologist. ;)

Such a DT apologist. ;)

Do you suppose there's anybody here who could get into an argument with DT about baseball-things and win the argument? (I don't.)

EDIT: I wish DT would have a call-in show where he does that very thing. It would be a great way for lots of people to learn little things about baseball.

Archived