vs. RED SOX, 6/2

Sessh

based on that and the link at the bottom, sometimes bunts are ok. I bet the situations where bunts are ok increase a lot when you have a sub 200 hitter at the plate.

As it turned out, Pena got a base hit. If we were going to bunt, AJ would have been the out to give up.

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• I mentioned this in the game thread, but I can't figure out Keegan Akin's role on this team. He's a failed starter who doesn't have the stuff to be a setup man or closer. His strength is that he can give you bulk innings out of the pen. He's TJ McFarland. Last night Akin was on five days of rest, and Irvin couldn't complete the fourth inning (not exactly something that should have taken Hyde by surprise). Seems like just the spot for Akin, right? But Hyde pitches Nick Vespi, Dillon Tate, and Matt freaking Krook ahead of him, with Vespi and Krook combining to turn a winnable 5-2 game into an 11-2 blowout. Akin pitches a completely meaningless ninth inning. Not only is Akin not first in line, he's not one of the first two lefties in line, so you can't say Hyde was scared off by the Rangers' righty bats. In 2022, Akin averaged around two innings per appearance pitching 81.2 innings in 45 games to a 122 ERA+. In 2023 the O's tried to make him more of a high leverage guy, averaging less than one inning per appearance and he was exposed to the tune of a 60 ERA+. He's bounced back this year, but after last night I don't know what the Orioles are doing with him.
    • I've never been more excited about an off-day. I am imagining everyone's stamina bars refilling.  Some of these guys look absolutely gassed. Westburg has been making uncharacteristic errors, Henderson with the golden sombrero, etc.  And obviously the pitching is on vapors right now. 
    • Burnes - Game 1, Grayson - Game 2, ? - Game 3. That's what a #3 means to me.  A guy we want starting a playoff game.   Kremer, Suarez, Povich, and Irvin, are fine regular season pitching options, but we don't want them starting playoff games.  I don't know if I'd want Fedde in that situation.  A #3 for me would be one of Scherzer, Kikuchi, and Severino, in that order.  I could be sold on Fedde though.  
    • The Orioles lineup should only improve over the next couple years so carrying an elite gold glove CF who might not hit very well is reasonable. Plus if Kjerstad is playing the outfield Bradfield can help cover some of the ground that Kjerstad cannot reach.
    • I am not sure how many innings Suarez has left though.  He has pitched a lot this year already as he pitched in the winter league as well before spring training.  I could see them pulling back on his innings second half of the year.   Suarez has 130 innings between the Mexican league and pitching in our organization.  How many innings will they push him in one Calender year.  
    • Agree.  Unless there's some kind of injury we don't know about and Watkins would be on the 26-man temporarily. Like maybe someone's day in AAA doesn't line up with a need up here and they need to buy a couple days. Who knows. Just spitballing.
    • Right around whenever they called up Gunnar for the first time.
  • Popular Contributors