2016 2nd Round Pick - Keegan Akin - LHP - Western Michigan

Pitching, pitching, pitching. These sound like college pitchers with good stuff and they hold it "deep into games". I'll take that over those HS pitchers. I wonder if the O's goe for the trifecta and pick one more.

Love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mechanics are good and the FB/CH combo is strong. There's stuff to like here. Body is pretty much maxed. One concern I have is that his pitches are pretty easy to read out of the hand. Might need to learn some way to be more deceptive. But a lefty with good FB velo and a plus change who can throw three pitches for strikes is a nice get in the second round.

Pitched on the same team with Cody Sedlock in the Cape Cod League

From Roch Kubatko www.masnsports.com

Sedlock on Akin:

“Keegan’s a great kid. We played all summer in the Cape. He has an electric left arm and one of the heaviest fastballs I’ve ever seen. I’m hoping we play quite a bit if not this year, next year. It’s going to be great to have a familiar face. Get on this road to be big leagues with someone I know.”

The Orioles began following Sedlock last summer in the Cape Cod League. Sedlock and Akin were teammates on Bourne, managed by Orioles part-time scout Harvey Shapiro.

Sedlock, who also appeared on the conference call, thanked the Orioles for the opportunity, mentioned his friendship with Midwest area scout Dan Durst and how his parents attended a spring training game this year.

Per Baseball Reference search, there has never been a player to reach the majors with the first name Keegan.

This is either a massive oversight by the O's scouts or we could be making some real history history in a few years. :P

So, Not a baseball name?

I like Akin; I think it's a very solid pick. But I think I still would have preferred the upside of Nolan Jones. However, I think Gary's hands were tied; he probably didn't have the draft pool funds to afford Jones. If Duquette had kept that second round pick, we might have had enough pool money to pay Jones....

I know it's speculation, but what's worth more: $3 million in salary relief or Nolan Jones?

• 2 weeks later...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Source: Orioles in agreement with 2nd-rdr. (54th) Keegan Akin at slot value of $1,177,200. <a href="https://t.co/PqfYERBPaV">https://t.co/PqfYERBPaV</a></p>— Chris Cotillo (@ChrisCotillo) <a href="

">June 23, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

• 2 months later...

Archived