Updates on Hunter Harvey

Norfolk orioles

12 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Before last night his FIP was 2.72, one of the best in the entire Eastern League

I don’t take too much comfort in that.    The smaller the sample — and 30 innings is very small — the less reliable an indicator FIP is.   Needless to say, I haven’t seen any of his games, so I can’t say whether his high FIP is due to a bit of bad luck/fielding or if the hitters have simply hit the ball hard.   

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t take too much comfort in that.    The smaller the sample — and 30 innings is very small — the less reliable an indicator FIP is.   Needless to say, I haven’t seen any of his games, so I can’t say whether his high FIP is due to a bit of bad luck/fielding or if the hitters have simply hit the ball hard.   

And ERA is even less reliable over those sample sizes.

He has been getting barreled at times, it's all about command for him right now, when it's good, he's dominant, when it's not, his fastball gets barreled.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ohfan67 said:

His performance is realistically about the best that could be expected given the time off, incredibly limited experience above A ball, etc. 

o

Ageed.

He has actually had NO experience higher the Regular-A ball prior to this season ........ he never pitched at Advanced-A Frederick.

He pitched 87.67 innings at Regular-A Delmarva ........ back in 2014.

o

40 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

A .290 BAA doesn't cry out elite prospect

It's 30 innings. The last two games or so put his stats in the hurt locker. I think it will take a lot more innings before we have a good idea if he's going to be elite again. 

On 6/1/2018 at 10:46 PM, OFFNY said:

o

This was Harvey's worst outing of the 2018 season.

In his previous 4 outings combined, he had given up predominantly singles (16 Singles, 2 Doubles, and 1 Home Run.) Today he gave up ALL extra base hits, and no singles.

That said, I'm not particularly concerned. He is throwing regularly and staying healthy in the process, which are the most important things for a first-round draft pick who had Tommy John surgery as recently as 2016. It's his first season in the higher levels of the Minors (AAA, AA, Advanced-A) since his professional career began in 2013, so I expect some ups and down in the process.

6 OUTS: ) 4 Flyouts, 1 Groundout, 1 Lineout

HUNTER LUKE HARVEY )))))))) (vs. AA-Trenton, 6/01)

IP:lll2

H:llll 5 )) (2 Home Runs, 2 Triples, 1 Double)

R:lllll 6

BB:ll

SO:ll0

Pitches: )l 59 (36 )Strikes, )23 )Balls)

2018 ERA: )l 5.57 )l(AA-Bowie)  )  32.33 IP  (20 ER)

2018 WHIP: )l 1.392 )l(AA-Bowie)  )  32.33 IP  (45 H/BB)

2018 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG:  )l .290  )l(AA-Bowie) )  (36 for 124)

PITCHES BY INNING

35 ll(21 llStrikes, l14 llllBalls)

24 ll(15 llStrikes, lll91 llBalls)

o

Can't help but think in the back of my mind - with all those XBH's coming out of nowhere - Is there an injury?  Part of that is paranoia, but it's easy to be paranoid as an O's fan.  In reality, I thought it was far too ambitious to consider him likely to be in the 2019 rotation, so as long as he looks reasonably good in his next start, nothing's really changed in my view.  

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Can't help but think in the back of my mind - with all those XBH's coming out of nowhere - Is there an injury?  Part of that is paranoia, but it's easy to be paranoid as an O's fan.  In reality, I thought it was far too ambitious to consider him likely to be in the 2019 rotation, so as long as he looks reasonably good in his next start, nothing's really changed in my view.  

His velocity was reportedly 96-97 the entire outing, his best velo of the season, so I’d guess he didn’t have command or his curveball.

• Upvote 2

"Orioles top pitching prospect Hunter Harvey, who has been limited due to injuries throughout his pro career, is dealing with a right shoulder injury and his return to the Double-A Bowie rotation is currently unknown.

Harvey, 23, was supposed to start for the Baysox today, but was scratched with “posterior shoulder instability,” according to player development director Brian Graham."

More: http://www.baltimorebaseball.com/2018/06/08/hunter-harvey-scratched-bowie-start-shoulder-injury-timetable-return-currently-unknown/

• Upvote 1

Of course this has happened.  What an utter disaster of a season on all fronts.  I didn't think it could get much worse.  How silly of me.

What should we call our curse?  And when did it start?  It makes me feel better to think that there might be some cosmic things working against this organization on top of all the disgusting decision making (or lack of it, as it were.)