Updates on Hunter Harvey

Norfolk orioles

2 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

The era is ugly, but I guess on a positive note he's averaging close to a K per 9. What is it with us and these highly rated pitching prospects who just can't seem to stay healthy? First Bundy and now Harvey. 

They all break. And Who knows how they get that highly ranked. 

I'm more curious about his injury honestly than his performance.  I read in the Carroll County Times that he hurt his shoulder by moving quickly to dodge a foul ball that was hit into the dugout, but I haven't seen that referenced anywhere else (all other sources just give some sort of vague response like a "non-baseball related injury" or something like that).  I've seen almost no updates on him since the injury.

3 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

The era is ugly, but I guess on a positive note he's averaging close to a K per 9. What is it with us and these highly rated pitching prospects who just can't seem to stay healthy? First Bundy and now Harvey. 

Not just us.  Lots of pitching prospects can stay healthy.  And Bundy and Harvey are just 2 in a long line that have come through and have gotten hurt.  TINSTAAPP.

Just now, amdcpus said:

63.2 IP in last 4 seasons. Hobgood 2.0 and Sedlock will be Hobgood 3.0

No - that is not really fair.  Hobgood was never healthy and never good. 

Harvey has been VERY good when he's been healthy - he just hasn't been able to sustain that.  I'm still pretty bullish on him, but I'd just like to know more about his latest injury.

Sedlock certainly does not look promising.

1 minute ago, glenn__davis said:

Not just us.  Lots of pitching prospects can stay healthy.  And Bundy and Harvey are just 2 in a long line that have come through and have gotten hurt.  TINSTAAPP.

True, but we are vastly more aware of those in our systems, then say Seattle's minor pitchers.

Then again, not all OH, just most of us. :)

Just now, glenn__davis said:

No - that is not really fair.  Hobgood was never healthy and never good. 

Harvey has been VERY good when he's been healthy - he just hasn't been able to sustain that.  I'm still pretty bullish on him, but I'd just like to know more about his latest injury.

Sedlock certainly does not look promising.

Harvey was the one that I was really bullish on, given his genes and his dad's influences on him.

He's got a whopping 63 2/3 innings pitched over the last 2+ seasons since coming back form TJ surgery.  I dunno how anyone thought he'd see the big leagues this year for anything other than a cup of coffee, or possible a September call up to appear in a couple games.  No matter what the results are, he needs to show that he can actually get through a season with a decent workload in the minors before they even think of bringing him up and putting him in the rotation.

It does seem like our highly ranked pitching prospects have broken down at a high rate. That may be an illusion created in part by the fact that we have had fewer talented pitchers in the system since we've had so little talent from Latin America.

Has anyone ever looked to see whether the rate of career-threatening or career-ending injuries is higher in the Orioles' system than the general rate? IO would have to think the Orioles have those numbers. (I wouldn't include TJ injuries/surgeries, which seem to me to belong in a separate category.)

The main thing is to try and keep him healthy and keep him pitching at Bowie.  Let him build some innings up for the rest of this year and next year.  He's still only 23.  Maybe he might be a factor on the big league team in 2020.

9 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Any time a guy gives up 6 runs in one start and then goes on the DL you have think maybe he was pitching hurt. The question is, will he ever be healthy?

He dislocated his shoulder dodging a foul ball in the dugout.

He was actually pretty solid until that last outing. Still needed some work on FB command and the changeup hadn’t come along yet, but some games he sat 96-97 t98 with a plus hook.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Luke-OH said:

He dislocated his shoulder dodging a foul ball in the dugout.

He was actually pretty solid until that last outing. Still needed some work on FB command and the changeup hadn’t come along yet, but some games he sat 96-97 t98 with a plus hook.

Thank you.  I was starting to wonder if that foul ball in the dugout story was just something I had misread, because I hadn't seen it reported anywhere else.