Updates on Hunter Harvey

Norfolk orioles

4 hours ago, Going Underground said:

So Harvey did not get in the game yesterday. Had pitched on 9/2 and 9/13. Maybe being very careful with his soreness. Said that he has six or so innings he could throw before his innings limit. Roch with this tidbit from last night. I guess they could not ask Hyde about Harvey.

Hunter Harvey didn’t pitch tonight despite situations in the eighth and ninth that normally would have suited him.

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2019/09/mancinis-four-rbi-night-wasted-in-8-5-loss.html

c4bc50e426303d5fbaa842918637f4dc6bd7537ed127e6f526c37f957a58c323.jpg?mw=600

Obviously we are all hyper sensitive to any kind of soreness with Harvey. I do think this thing is bothering him still an the team wants to be ultra careful with him. At 75.2 IP, he is at twice the amount of innings that he threw in 2018 so he may be near the limit that they wanted to get him this year as well. 

Honestly, I wouldn't be upset if they just came out and said they were going to shut him down this year. I have him penciled in as the closer next year and only an injury would get in the way of him having success in that role.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

One, it's against board rules to call people including players and coaches idiots, so consider this your warning.

Secondly, you do know that Harvey was a starter at the beginning of the year and had 10 games with 40 or more pitches. After converting to a reliever, he had two minor league innings where he threw 33 pitches in an inning and one in an inning and a third.

Harvey is almost 25-years old. While I don't think anyone, including Hyde preferred that he stayed out there that long in one inning, I don't think Hyde was reckless or an idiot for doing so. If he's incapable of throwing a 30 pitch inning when things aren't going great, what is he then?

I think your dislike for Hyde is clouding your judgement here. While you are certainly entitled to your opinion of not liking Hyde, you are not entitled to call him an idiot while doing so here on the Hangout.

You’re right on the idiot part. I apologized multiple times in subsequent posts for my poor choice of wording and will not use that language going forward. I thought it was over with, but I understand that this could be your first time reading it and it’s just not a good look. Warning heard.

Back to Harvey, I don’t know if the “high” pitch count in the inning vs the Nats has anything to do with him being shutdown, but my point was after all everyone has been through why push it at all. You can’t “baby” these guys forever, but you can for this year. 

At the end of the day, I just hope Harvey didn’t have another setback and will be back healthy come ST. 

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

You’re right on the idiot part. I apologized multiple times in subsequent posts for my poor choice of wording and will not use that language going forward. I thought it was over with, but I understand that this could be your first time reading it and it’s just not a good look. Warning heard.

Back to Harvey, I don’t know if the “high” pitch count in the inning vs the Nats has anything to do with him being shutdown, but my point was after all everyone has been through why push it at all. You can’t “baby” these guys forever, but you can for this year. 

At the end of the day, I just hope Harvey didn’t have another setback and will be back healthy come ST. 

That's certainly an understandable and defendable take on the situation. If I remember that inning correctly, he was almost out of the inning around 20 pitches but they kept fouling him off and his pitch count was getting up there before Hyde was able to get someone warming up. Then Harvey got out without allowing a run.

I agree that it wasn't optimal, but I also think they need to have the kid's gloves taken off with him this year a bit. The Orioles need to see if he can pitch on back to back days and be extended to 30-40 pitches on occasion.

Looking at his velocity in this next two appearances, it did not looked like it affected him, but I can't say that for sure. I'm probably more inclined to believe that the innings work load is starting to catch up to him a bit after such little use over the last few years.

Harvey has been a great success story with his move to the pen and I think the team has found their closer of the future.

9 hours ago, Going Underground said:

Harvey shut down. Thrown enough innings and has not rebounded that well. Want him healthy for next year..Supposedly little bicep soreness. 

Its a good move. Let's hope there is no lingering issues next spring. I'm sure he will be monitored over the fall/winter because it would be a real bummer if he has the same issue next spring.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Its a good move. Let's hope there is no lingering issues next spring. I'm sure he will be monitored over the fall/winter because it would be a real bummer if he has the same issue next spring.

Most definitely. Don't want to read about some procedure over the off season.Bicep soreness could lead to other things if not careful. Hope the Orioles will not regret the Friday the 13th appearance after a 11 day layoff.

Whether shutting him down now is beneficial or not would really depend on exactly what the “soreness“ is. I don’t know how significant an extra 30 or 40 pitches over the next week are, but again it would depend on exactly what is sore and why . Has anybody gotten any additional information at all?

1 minute ago, Philip said:

Whether shutting him down now is beneficial or not would really depend on exactly what the “soreness“ is. I don’t know how significant an extra 30 or 40 pitches over the next week are, but again it would depend on exactly what is sore and why . Has anybody gotten any additional information at all?

Sore biceps is the official clause.

Not sure how legit that is.

Hopefully, its just his body showing signs that he threw enough innings.

Rest and treatment and see how he is in ST

Smart to shut him down, but I’ll be honest: I’m not optimistic that he’ll ever stay healthy enough to be a major factor for us.    He just seems very fragile.    I’m glad he got through a full MiL season without any major disruptions and gave us a taste of what he could do at the major league level if he can stay in one piece.   He’s fun to watch.   

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Smart to shut him down, but I’ll be honest: I’m not optimistic that he’ll ever stay healthy enough to be a major factor for us.    He just seems very fragile.    I’m glad he got through a full MiL season without any major disruptions and gave us a taste of what he could do at the major league level if he can stay in one piece.   He’s fun to watch.   

How do you know he had no major disruptions?