My 2016 mid-season report card

Frobby

Excellent post. I agree with 99% of it.

When a 32 homer and 102 RBI pace gets Jones a C+ the standard is TOO high. Adam played through injuries for the first 2 months of the season and was still productive by the end of June. As far as his defense. Well, he was playing hurt. Did you see the superman act he put on making that diving caught in the gap to save at least two runs? He is probably pretty close to 100% healthy now but those kind of catches take a toll on his body. I love his effort. It allows him to tell Manny to stop watching the hard hit balls and run. Adam is still an important leader on this team. I am in the B+, A- range on Adam.

I definitely can't complain about the HRs and RBI, or his effort and leadership. However, his BA is lower than it's ever been as an Oriole. His slugging percentage is lower than it's been since 2010. His OPS+ is at 99, lowest since 2008. His 0.8 rWAR, if doubled to 1.6, would be the lowest he's had as an Oriole, and put him at below average for a major league regular. And, as I said, I'm grading him on a curve compared to my expectations. He's been an all-star four years in a row, but I don't think he'll be an all-star this year. So overall, I think a C+ is fair compared to my expectations.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I definitely can't complain about the HRs and RBI, or his effort and leadership. However, his BA is lower than it's ever been as an Oriole. His slugging percentage is lower than it's been since 2010. His OPS+ is at 99, lowest since 2008. His 0.8 rWAR, if doubled to 1.6, would be the lowest he's had as an Oriole, and put him at below average for a major league regular. And, as I said, I'm grading him on a curve compared to my expectations. He's been an all-star four years in a row, but I don't think he'll be an all-star this year. So overall, I think a C+ is fair compared to my expectations.

I think the difference between your evaluation and mine is that I fact in that he was hurt and still played in spite of the injury. That doesn't seem to matter in your evaluation. Hey its your opinion. Nothing wrong with that.

I think the difference between your evaluation and mine is that I fact in that he was hurt and still played in spite of the injury. That doesn't seem to matter in your evaluation. Hey its your opinion. Nothing wrong with that.

Nothing but the numbers ma'am the human element is an intangible.

With those grades we should be in first place! ;)

It pretty much takes that A lineup to overcome that F rotation.

P.S. Great post Frobby. I agree with almost everything except I'd put AJ a little bit higher. He has crawled out of a hole since he's been inserted in the leadoff spot.

Fair enough. I do think injuries hurt Adam's performance early in the year. Hopefully July-September will look more like June than like April-May.

Alvarez aside... we do lead the majors with 128 homers so far and we're 2nd in OPS.

And truthfully Alvarez was merely a luxury added cheap to an outstanding and powerful core. But all the talk of 30 homers seems pretty generous. He's on pace to hit less than 20. I'm not sure his production wouldn't be matched by more ABs from Kim and Reimold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And truthfully Alvarez was merely a luxury added cheap to an outstanding and powerful core. But all the talk of 30 homers seems pretty generous. He's on pace to hit less than 20. I'm not sure his production wouldn't be matched by more ABs from Kim and Reimold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With the added benefit of no more Trumbo in the outfield.

I think its a pretty good synopsis, Frobby, but Im sorry.. this team appears to be taking on water now. Not nearly enough pitching and Odays absence could be extended. We just dont have the starting pitching and we are overmatched by better than average pitching.Unless we make a move(who knows what) to get a couple decent arms at the break...we are looking at a second half collapse not unlike the Mizzilli year. Im very down on the Wilson/ Wright option as both have failed with multiple chances. Ubaldo is going to be released. We just dont have enough to win this thing.I think Kim is the biggest surprise and Im pleased with almost every player in the lineup except Hardy who appears hurt again. If thats true, we are in trouble.I think we are in trouble anyway.

What you are not factoring in is that the O's right now probably have the best starting pitching they have had all year. A healthy Gallardo may be the best #3 the O's have had this year. Tillman and Gausman can be as good as they have been. There is nothing stopping them. Those three start 8 of the next 9 games.

Worley was well on his way to being in the rotation before he got hurt. If he is healthy he could regain the form that we saw from him as a long reliever only this time in the rotation. Remember his career totals as a starter are:

29-26, 3.89 ERA, 83 Starts

Despaigne career as a starter is:

9-16, 4.42 ERA, 34 starts, 197 IP

That record reflects pitching for bad teams. This in not a bad team in any way but the rotation.

Wright may have not been great so far this year but he has gone to Norfolk to work on some things. He is 3-0 with an 0.87 ERA. And Buck says he is not ready yet. O's management is going to keep him in the minors until they think he is ready to succeed.

Then there is the starter that Dan will add.

This thing is far from over and there are many twists and turns yet to go. I don't know where it leads to but its been a surprise so far. Don't get down. Come along for the ride. I know you will.

Archived