Duquette's offseason, in hindsight

Frobby

Could be one of two things (or both):

1. The continuing skyrocketing cost of pitching between 2015 and 2016 made Duquette change his mind about the value of a strong bullpen arm.

2. The fact that O'Day is a clubhouse leader who has performed well in Baltimore for several years may have come into play.

Good points.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Exactly. If PA told Duquette to sign someone with an opt out...it would be done. There are so many things that management tells him to do that we dont know about. If anyone things Duquette has a free hand in decision making, they are sadly mistaken.

Every one of you ridiculous Duquette haters should print this out, tape it to the bathroom mirror and read it every day.

Your warped brains still wouldn't get it, but might be worth a try.

Every one of you ridiculous Duquette haters should print this out, tape it to the bathroom mirror and read it every day.

Things DD can't do even if he wanted:

Give a SP an AAV of 20M or more

Give a SP 5 years or more

Spend large in International market

Pay a posting fee for Asian market

Include opt outs in contracts

Pay large for Cuban players

Spend on any possible health risk

Apply these limitations to the past off season and what options were left?

Things DD can't do even if he wanted:

Give a SP an AAV of 20M or more

Give a SP 5 years or more

Spend large in International market

Pay a posting fee for Asian market

Include opt outs in contracts

Pay large for Cuban players

Spend on any possible health risk

Apply these limitations to the past off season and what options were left?

I would say that not giving Starting Pitchers 5 or more year contracts and not including opt outs are wise decisions by Peter Angelos. The others make less sense.

Could be one of two things (or both):

1. The continuing skyrocketing cost of pitching between 2015 and 2016 made Duquette change his mind about the value of a strong bullpen arm.

2. The fact that O'Day is a clubhouse leader who has performed well in Baltimore for several years may have come into play.

Or perhaps the fact that Angelos will pay more for guys who have been on the team for a while. For example Brian Roberts, Adam Jones and Chris Davis. I am sure if Markakis didn't fail his physical requirement Angelos would have wanted him signed as well.

Blaming all of Duquette's inane decisions on Angelos also requires a warped mind. Just saying.

Yep, I'm sure the ownership told Dan to trade for Para last year.

And to tender Matusz.

And the list goes on...

Yep, I'm sure the ownership told Dan to trade for Para last year.

And to tender Matusz.

And the list goes on...

They might not have told him to trade for Parra specifically but I bet they told him to trade for someone to improve the team.

They might not have told him to trade for Parra specifically but I bet they told him to trade for someone to improve the team.

I don't believe that ownership currently takes such an assertive approach.

I strongly believe that Dan very much wants to win and is very willing to trade long term assets for what might short term improvements.

I would say that not giving Starting Pitchers 5 or more year contracts and not including opt outs are wise decisions by Peter Angelos. The others make less sense.
I think there are situations where the opt out could work to your advantage. Extending Manny e.g. If we could have offered Zimmerman more than he got from DET fvor 5 years, it might have been a good signing. Same with Cueto with the opt out, or even Kazmir.

I don't believe that ownership currently takes such an assertive approach.

I strongly believe that Dan very much wants to win and is very willing to trade long term assets for what might short term improvements.

Its a balancing act, you have to give up to get and ideally would like to have a strong farm and a good parent club.

You don't mortgage the future to play for now.

He didn't trade blue chippers away like Bundy and Harvey.

Its a balancing act, you have to give up to get and ideally would like to have a strong farm and a good parent club.

If Wright, Wilson, Mancini, Walker, and Sisco are the future then I think we need to take out a second mortgage.

And I firmly believe that he didn't do a very good job of balancing things.

The main reason I think he didn't trade Bundy or Harvey as he saw them as important pieces on the MLB roster during his tenure here. Unfortunately for us all, injuries have precluded that for Harvey and minimized it for Bundy.

And I firmly believe that he didn't do a very good job of balancing things.

The main reason I think he didn't trade Bundy or Harvey as he saw them as important pieces on the MLB roster during his tenure here. Unfortunately for us all, injuries have precluded that for Harvey and minimized it for Bundy.

Hopefully, its just a delay of a major league career with Harvey, like with Bundy went through.

Archived