Wieters Talks About Accepting QO And The Future

Can_of_corn

The idea that Sisco is going to replace Wieters next year is silly. Kid has no pop in his bat and a suspect arm.

If Wieters isn't around next year your starting catcher will be Joseph or someone on another team now who probably hits poorly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep. To me the best case scenario is for him to accept the QO again.

Don't think it will happen.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like Matt, but no way in hell am I paying what it would take to keep him. He's on the wrong side of 30, his offense is avg to maybe slightly above avg, and his defense isn't irreplaceable either. Offer him the QO again and thank him for his time in black and orange when he signs elsewhere for a contract that the signing team will regret in two or three years.

Browsing the free agents, Ramos is putting himself in good shape to rival Wieters for best available. He was a spring training LASIK and keeps accumulating evidence it really helped, he might be able to build a case this isn't as much of an outlier as it seems.

Castro, Hundley and Soto are other 1st stringers who will be part of this free agent class. We know our move is slow-playing and signing the last guy late at a good price. There's going to be some options to buy Sisco/Heim one more season.

Back to the topic, sign me up for moving on from Weiters and hoping as I did this season that he takes a QO and we get that comp pick while saving money on extending Manny and Tillman. That should be the focus monetarily. Give Cisco some big league action and move on. We have a lot of capable catchers coming up. I know what Matt brings and how much Buck likes him but he's too expensive for this cash-strapped team with big expenses looming. We need to continue bolstering the farm club whenever possible and develop the talent we have. We aren't NY or BOS. We're barely drawing 26K in attendance (20th in the league) for the best home record in baseball and a 1st place team for roughly 80%-plus of the season thus far. These numbers will not compel PA to spend in the future. The Orioles will tighten the belt and can still be successful doing so. We have a good nucleus with a decent number of prospects soon ready and more that can be had if we play it smart.

I am not quite sure how to respond since I can't tell what you are advocating. We don't get a pick if he "takes" a QO - we get Wieters for a year. We get the pick if he declines it and leaves. If that was your hope for this season, I am glad it did not come to fruition since the O's chance of winning the division this year, which are very realistic, would be significantly worse without Wieters. The idea of hurting a contending team this year for a sandwich pick that may end up helping in several years and may well never see anything above AA seems a bit crazy.

I am not quite sure how to respond since I can't tell what you are advocating. We don't get a pick if he "takes" a QO - we get Wieters for a year. We get the pick if he declines it and leaves. If that was your hope for this season, I am glad it did not come to fruition since the O's chance of winning the division this year, which are very realistic, would be significantly worse without Wieters. The idea of hurting a contending team this year for a sandwich pick that may end up helping in several years and may well never see anything above AA seems a bit crazy.

And then you get the pick when you offer again and he refuses. Unless he wants to just go year by year and a team is pretty fortunate if an aging catcher chooses that. Even if they pay for that privilege.

And then you get the pick when you offer again and he refuses. Unless he wants to just go year by year and a team is pretty fortunate if an aging catcher chooses that. Even if they pay for that privilege.

I agree. You would certainly offer it again this year, but there is no way he takes it barring a serious injury or something weird happening. He'll get a 4-5 year deal from someone, and I assume the Orioles will make a legitimate offer. I think he is pretty clearly the second best catcher in the AL right now. Whether what it would take to get him makes long term sense for the Orioles is in doubt, but we'll see how that plays out. Other teams are also aware of his strengths and liabilities.

I think at $17m Wieters would be ok going year by year. He seems to truly love Baltimore and Buck. Another QO will put him over $40m in career earnings.

I like Matt, but no way in hell am I paying what it would take to keep him. He's on the wrong side of 30, his offense is avg to maybe slightly above avg, and his defense isn't irreplaceable either. Offer him the QO again and thank him for his time in black and orange when he signs elsewhere for a contract that the signing team will regret in two or three years.

He's 30. It's not like he's 32 or 33. Yeah, you can find a better defensive catcher. MAYBE a better offensive catcher. But you won't find that in one guy. Unless you want to pay for it. Chance Sisco is a slap hitting catcher who is a defensive liability. That's the future after Wieters. That is, after Joseph sucks it up a year or two.

If he has a similar second half to his first half, he'll get another QO, reject it, and then probably go to whatever team offers him the most money, unless the Orioles come very close to matching it, in which case maybe he'll consider staying. I'd say 75% chance he's gone. But not 100%.

We have no idea what the budget is anymore, so it's impossible to ballpark the odds. Last year broke through the ceiling.

If he has a similar second half to his first half, he'll get another QO, reject it, and then probably go to whatever team offers him the most money, unless the Orioles come very close to matching it, in which case maybe he'll consider staying. I'd say 75% chance he's gone. But not 100%.

It's worth pointing out that Wieters at the break is performing slightly worse this year than he did last year.

2015 in 282 PA: .267/.319/.422/.741 100 wRC+

2016 in 245 PA: .258/.310/.418/.728 91wRC+

Injury questions no longer exist to the degree they did at the end of last season which is good, but the expected rebound hasn't materialized except intermittently. Not so good. If anything the case for a QO is less compelling at the AS break than it was eight months ago IMO. If I had to guess now, I would guess Wieters stays with the O's on a sweetheart deal at significantly less AAV than a QO which should approach $17 million. 3/40 would be an overpay but I wouldn't be surprised to see it. I would be very surprised to see a QO unless he heats up and stays hot for the rest of the season.

He's 30. It's not like he's 32 or 33. Yeah, you can find a better defensive catcher. MAYBE a better offensive catcher. But you won't find that in one guy. Unless you want to pay for it. Chance Sisco is a slap hitting catcher who is a defensive liability. That's the future after Wieters. That is, after Joseph sucks it up a year or two.

Chance Sisco just turned 21 in February of this year. Power is the last thing to come. Let's not act like it's a foregone conclusion that Sisco won't develop some power. Sure, he won't be a big power guy, but there's upside here and he is a very good hitter if that power doesn't come. This lineup has a ton of power as it is, I'd be happy to have more high avg/obp guys.

No one is saying Wieters is going to be upgraded by a young guy coming up, but the guy is getting older and we have some guys that are going to need contracts. I'd like to keep him, but if he wants a deal that hurts our chances at getting guys like Tilly, Machado, etc. inked I'd prefer to take a comp pick and move on.

It's worth pointing out that Wieters at the break is performing slightly worse this year than he did last year.

2015 in 282 PA: .267/.319/.422/.741 100 wRC+

2016 in 245 PA: .258/.310/.418/.728 91wRC+

Injury questions no longer exist to the degree they did at the end of last season which is good, but the expected rebound hasn't materialized except intermittently. Not so good. If anything the case for a QO is less compelling at the AS break than it was eight months ago IMO. If I had to guess now, I would guess Wieters stays with the O's on a sweetheart deal at significantly less AAV than a QO which should approach $17 million. 3/40 would be an overpay but I wouldn't be surprised to see it. I would be very surprised to see a QO unless he heats up and stays hot for the rest of the season.

TBH, at 3/40 I don't think it'd really be an overpay, and I would be ok with that number. There isn't many catchers who are solid both ways, and those of which that are will such as Lucroy/Ramos/Posey will get paid/are getting paid more than that I believe.

The idea that Sisco is going to replace Wieters next year is silly. Kid has no pop in his bat and a suspect arm.

If Wieters isn't around next year your starting catcher will be Joseph or someone on another team now who probably hits poorly.

No POP... Did you see his HR in the futures game!?

No POP... Did you see his HR in the futures game!?

Oh he hit A home run?! One homer in one game?!?! Damn it I'm convinced!!! Disregard the rest of his minor league career!

Archived