The Defensive Regression

Grt 2BA FL Gator

Per UZR, the infield is +8.6, while the outfield is -21.7.

Jones -7.6

Rickard -7.5

Trumbo -3.8

Kim -1.8

Reimold -1.4

Flaherty +0.4 (LOL, the one guy who doesn't play the OF regularly)

I don't necessarily buy into all those, but the overall number for the group makes sense to me.

Outfield metrics are much wonkier than infield, right? Was there ever an answer on the potential weirdness of OPACY outfield metrics?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
True, good point.

I know he lets the occasional ball go over his head, I thought that was because he has always been aggressive and likes to play shallow.

I actually thought that was a bigger issue before Buck and Kirby got here.

Anyway, it's worth noting that BB-ref's Rtot does not agree with UZR. They have Jones at +1, Trumbo at -5. Kim is -8, Rickard -7, Reimold -3. So, choose the advanced metric you prefer. Either way, our OF defense is a problem.

Yeah, AJ could get away with the occasional poor first step, but the older he gets - the worse he's going to be - in comparison to the average CFer. Of course, he could be above average in RF - which could be handy next year if the team acquires a CFer (rather than a corner OFer) to "replace" Trumbo.

I was reading an ESPN article and the author stated that our defense has been below average "as expected". I understood that with Trumbo/Kim we would regress a good amount defensively, but to go from one of the game's best to now below average, what else is at play?

Do we think Hardy's health should bolster its consistency in the second half? Has Jones regressed? Just curious here. I'd expect our infield to be one of the best in the majors..

Sorry but I don't trust anything from ESPN.

I actually thought that was a bigger issue before Buck and Kirby got here.

Anyway, it's worth noting that BB-ref's Rtot does not agree with UZR. They have Jones at +1, Trumbo at -5. Kim is -8, Rickard -7, Reimold -3. So, choose the advanced metric you prefer. Either way, our OF defense is a problem.

I like Kirby and he does a good job of trying to get his COF in the proper position.

Yeah, AJ could get away with the occasional poor first step, but the older he gets - the worse he's going to be - in comparison to the average CFer. Of course, he could be above average in RF - which could be handy next year if the team acquires a CFer (rather than a corner OFer) to "replace" Trumbo.

Isn't Trumbo already signed for next year? I was thinking we signed him for 2 years. This year and next.

Archived