Shelby Miller?

Whammer

I know, I know - the guy absolutely stinks this year. However, he's only 25 Y.O. and looked like a solid #3 last year (3.03 ERA). Affordable ($4.35mm pro-rated) and definitely buy-low candidate (just sent to minors, rumor is AZ will non-tender him next year).

Maybe a change in scenary will do him good? Maybe Dave Wallace can get him turned around?

Definitely a trash-heap pickup but worth a conversation with AZ?

I know, I know - the guy has absolutely stinks this year. However, he's only 25 Y.O. and looked like a solid #3 last year (3.03 ERA). Affordable ($4.35mm pro-rated) and definitely buy-low candidate (just sent to minors, rumor is AZ will non-tender him next year).

Maybe a change in scenary will do him good? Maybe Dave Wallace can get him turned around?

Not a guy you're going to get cheap. Arizona gave up a TON to get him.

I know, I know - the guy absolutely stinks this year. However, he's only 25 Y.O. and looked like a solid #3 last year (3.03 ERA). Affordable ($4.35mm pro-rated) and definitely buy-low candidate (just sent to minors, rumor is AZ will non-tender him next year).

There are literally no meaningful rumors he will be non tendered.

There are literally no meaningful rumors he will be non tendered.

"Being sent down to the minors all but ensures that he will be little more than a mop-up reliever if he ever gets called back up to the big league club and even though he is eligible for arbitration next year, Arizona will almost certainly non-tender him."

http://www.forbes.com/sites/joshbenjamin/2016/07/14/has-shelby-miller-hit-rock-bottom/#5b637a7e494e

"Being sent down to the minors all but ensures that he will be little more than a mop-up reliever if he ever gets called back up to the big league club and even though he is eligible for arbitration next year, Arizona will almost certainly non-tender him."

http://www.forbes.com/sites/joshbenjamin/2016/07/14/has-shelby-miller-hit-rock-bottom/#5b637a7e494e

I think there is some hyperbole in there.

That's all conjecture. That has little basis not reality. Cant say too many people read forbes for their sports evaluations. The Diamondbacks need Miller and they will give him at least another year to figure it out.

Doesn't matter. You don't give up on him after the investment they gave up.

I agree, and I wasn't making a case for the D'Backs to do so.

Not sure, I would be interested in trying to acquire him to see if he could be rejuvenated, the D'Backs would want too much, since they have so much in him.

That's all conjecture. That has little basis not reality. Cant say too many people read forbes for their sports evaluations. The Diamondbacks need Miller and they will give him at least another year to figure it out.

Yeah his arbitration will get him no more then a million or two so not much of a gamble to take. You could trade him to 29 teams and get atleast something out of it before not tendering him.

Would love to have him, but the Diamondbacks are not going to sell low. They gave up their #3 prospect, a 5 WAR CF, and #1 draft pick for him.

There's been a lot of disappointment this year on both sides of the Miller deal.

Dansby Swanson was the DBacks no. 1 pick in 2015, and ranked #17 by BA coming into this season. He's had a somewhat disappointing year in AA (.752 OPS) at age 22.

Aaron Blair was a 1st round supplemental pick in 2013, and ranked #60 by BA preseason. He got called up to Atlanta for a while, but went 0-5 with a 7.99 ERA in 11 starts, and has a 4.26 ERA at Gwinnett.

Ender Inciarte has seen his OPS plummet to .599 and he's been worth 0.8 rWAR this season.

All in all, I'd still rather have Atlanta's end of the deal, but none of the players involved are living up to expectations.

There's been a lot of disappointment this year on both sides of the Miller deal.

Dansby Swanson was the DBacks no. 1 pick in 2015, and ranked #17 by BA coming into this season. He's had a somewhat disappointing year in AA (.752 OPS) at age 22.

Aaron Blair was a 1st round supplemental pick in 2013, and ranked #60 by BA preseason. He got called up to Atlanta for a while, but went 0-5 with a 7.99 ERA in 11 starts, and has a 4.26 ERA at Gwinnett.

Ender Inciarte has seen his OPS plummet to .599 and he's been worth 0.8 rWAR this season.

All in all, I'd still rather have Atlanta's end of the deal, but none of the players involved are living up to expectations.

Excellent points.

Archived