Good morning! Enjoy your Wednesday...

Moose Milligan

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ha ha..I see everyone is full of themselves today..until the next four or five game losing streak. Actually I went to Vegas recently for the first time, won a little bit of money, saw a good show (Beatles Love) but was generally disappointed with the whole scene. It was like Times Square on drugs. As for the stock market, I've never played it. That's a rich mans game. Anyways I always enjoy reading your posts. Thanks for a few laughs:thumbsup1:

Vegas does nothing for me. All you have to do is look around at all the glitzy trappings and cheap drinks and realize they are paying for all that by stacking the odds against the customers. Ka-ching.

This thread gets funnier by the day.

What I don't get is what motivates people to make these constant pronouncements of doom. Not people saying they are concerned about our pitching, or that Toronto scares them. That is common sense. But the outright pronouncements about how we will be in last place by such and such a date, or Toronto take command of the division by August 1, etc.

Because you don't seem to see them from the optimists. I don't see threads proclaiming that we have the division wrapped up. People are hopeful but certainly not making these "statements of fact" about how good we are.

Seems like there is a group of folks who love to deliver the bad news though, and state it as if it is definitive fact instead of speculation or concern. Why? I don't know. I guess I just don't understand the mindset, the need to declare imminent disaster as if it were true every time we encounter a slump.

What I don't get is what motivates people to make these constant pronouncements of doom. Not people saying they are concerned about our pitching, or that Toronto scares them. That is common sense. But the outright pronouncements about how we will be in last place by such and such a date, or Toronto take command of the division by August 1, etc.

Because you don't seem to see them from the optimists. I don't see threads proclaiming that we have the division wrapped up. People are hopeful but certainly not making these "statements of fact" about how good we are.

Seems like there is a group of folks who love to deliver the bad news though, and state it as if it is definitive fact instead of speculation or concern. Why? I don't know. I guess I just don't understand the mindset, the need to declare imminent disaster as if it were true every time we encounter a slump.

I agree completely.

I ALWAYS say that the Orioles have a chance to win every game, regardless of whether or not the Orioles have a bad starting pitcher on the mound. When people say something like, "I'll be happy if the Orioles take 2 out of 3 in this series", I will always come back and say that we should NEVER concede a game before a single pitch is thrown, and that we should take one game at a time and try to win them all ........ but I never say something like "We WILL be in first place by such-and-such a date", and/or "No question, the Red Sox and the Blue Jays will lose tonight."

But we do often see members of the pessimistic crowd STATE WITH CERTAINTY that the Orioles will be looking up at the Blue Jays and the Red Sox in the standings by such-and-such a date, and/or that the Orioles don't have a prayer to hang with this team(s), etc.

I am of the firm belief that about 85% of the population leans negative. Some slightly, some drastically.

Archived