Imagine if DD had never made a waiver deadline trade?

webbrick2010

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3-game losing streak during an offensive slump, two to the Yankees.. Queue the D&Gers...

This team will be in the playoffs this year. We've seen this offense slump and we've seen this offense set MLB records. With few guys overachieving at the plate, the offense will rebound.

But the Orioles are mediocre, Tony! You said so yourself! ;)

I agree with your present view. I can't say whether we will hold off Boston and Toronto, but I think we are going to be in the playoff race into the final week of the season. And frankly, if this team were to win 90+ games and get beat out for the division title by a team that wins 95 or so, I certainly wouldn't consider that a disappointing season. I'm not that spoiled.

Spoken like people born before 1983 who have no comprehension of the sense of urgency that the rest of us have to deal with while watching this team every day.

Hey look, another tired and worn out act. There is no "rest of us." You are the only one here that acts like this.

Spoken like people born before 1983 who have no comprehension of the sense of urgency that the rest of us have to deal with while watching this team every day.

I would like to see the Orioles win a World Series in my lifetime but hopefully they have another 60+ years to do that.

If you actually bothered to check my age, you'll know I was born after 1983. So don't act like you're somehow the only person who hasn't experienced a WS title in their lifetime.

Then you should realize that every loss takes us further and further away from seeing them win one.

Just knew you would completely evade being called out on your inaccuracy and still spin it with your misery.

Everything you say is common sense. But it's 162 games. You can't live and die with each game.

Just knew you would completely evade being called out on your inaccuracy and still spin it with your misery.

Everything you say is common sense. But it's 162 games. You can't live and die with each game.

Yes, that stuff is old. I would like to see a WS in my lifetime, but it will not make it break my life. I'm just curious if they win it, what will that change in his life?

Josh Hader? The guy walking almost 6 batters per nine innings in AAA? Eduardo Rodriguez of the Ubaldo-level ERA fame?

I'm not against the concept (and I was against every single one of these trades) but this rotation doesn't look much better than the one we have, with the obvious exception of Jake.

And which Jake do we get? The one who listened to Metallica before every start and couldn't get his head in the game, or the one who had an epiphany after the trade and got into Fleet Foxes and Zen Buddhism? Why do we assume he'd have gotten enlightenment in Baltimore? Oh, because we're in a 3-game slump and webbrick has come to gloat.

That's not even remotely true. I wouldn't care if they lost every game for the rest of eternity after that. I could finally watch a game in peace and not care about the outcome. It'd be completely liberating.

How do you know? You've never experienced it. Not only that, but your vision of this post-Championship nirvana doesn't square with the experience of anyone else I've ever met.

Yes, that stuff is old. I would like to see a WS in my lifetime, but it will not make it break my life. I'm just curious if they win it, what will that change in his life?

It'll be like Kramer when he got that Tony award after getting swept up by the actual winners on their way to the stage. For a week afterwards it was like he actually won a Tony Award, and his life was perfect. Then he got beat up by Raquel Welch and it was all downhill from there.

I've experienced a few of my other teams winning championships. I used to live and die by every Duke game until 2010, and especially 2015. Any success they have is gravy. Man City has given me peace to some degree, but I still get stressed when they play CL games. Any league title from here on out is gravy.

Maybe that's you, but there are plenty of people here who saw '83 and now spend most summers bitterly lamenting that Duquette and Angelos hate Baltimore.

3-game losing streak during an offensive slump, two to the Yankees.. Queue the D&Gers...

This team will be in the playoffs this year. We've seen this offense slump and we've seen this offense set MLB records. With few guys overachieving at the plate, the offense will rebound.

I think the team will be fine as well, but his point still stands: DD has made a series of bad deadline trades and we're now dealing with the fallout.

I was adamantly against the Davies and EdRod trades at the time, because they were both obvious overpays. The Davies for Parra was especially egregious. Parra's numbers were inflated. We knew they were inflated. We made the trade anyways and, of course, he regresses. Davies would be our third best starter this year and who knows how many years beyond. Even as a 4/5 guy, we've all seen this year how useful it is to have a 4.5-5.00 ERA guy locking down the back end of the rotation for cheap. Instead we're paying guys tens of millions of dollars to pitch below replacement level. This is what happens when you gut your system for short term gains.

As for Arrieta, I don't hold that against DD and never have. Arrieta was no longer a prospect, we had given him numerous chances, and most people on the board were fed up with him. He was a classic change-of-scenery guy. Maybe a failure of player development, but not of DD directly. This trade doesn't bother me like the Davies and EdRod trades, because the process was solid, if the results were bad. That's not his fault.

Archived