Official Orioles Draft Pick Thread

markpolis

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Also from the BA blog:

If this report is true, do you think it would be worth it to meet his demands immediately and have him start playing at Frederick or try to haggle for a better price? I have a feeling that this is irrelevant and that Boras will drag it out as long as possible anyway so he gets more leverage.

With the shortened time to sign it doesn't make a lot of sense to pay a big premium to get him sign a month or so earlier than the deadline. Lowball him at $4m have him counter and try to split the difference and get him in for 5-6m.

I see on the other thread that most are projecting Wieters to hit the majors in 2009 or 2010. I ask - why so long?

This guy supposedly is the best college bat in the draft. If so, shouldn't his bat be ready as early as next year? I'm thinking of guys like Ryan Zimmerman here.

Assume his bat is ready next year. Should we keep him in the minors just because we have Ramon? Do we bring him up and let him be backup C/DH? Do we trade Ramon? Or do we keep Wieters in the minors to polish his defensive and game-calling skills?

Question: do you think that the fact that the O's don't have picks for the next couple of rounds influenced their decision to go for Wieters?

1. No high picks so need to get a sure thing

2. No money to be spend in the early rounds after round 1 so that money can go to the Wieters war chest

If this is the case, are you still unhappy we don't have those picks? Would you rather have had another player besides Wieters and then the other picks, or would you rather have Wieters?

And can someone remind me, in what round is our next pick? The 4th?

Good question Frobby.

Don't get me wrong--I LOVE the Wieters pick. I'm thrilled. But I'd rather have the extra picks. The data is out there that the draft, especially the 1st round, is a crapshoot. Knock on wood, but what if something were to happen to Wieters. He wouldn't be the first high 1st round draft pick to succumb to injuries. If that's the case, you'd want to increase your odds of bearing fruit in the draft. This organization can't afford a bad draft year if its philosophy really is to build from within. Having those two extra draft picks would certainly help those odds--especially since the team isn't big on signing international prospects right now. The draft is where this team puts all its eggs in the basket.

That being said, I think Wieters was the absolute best-case scenario for the team and the one with the least amount of risk of the available players.

Great pick.

I'm with Frobby on this one. He's supposedly the best position player in the draft AND he's played college ball, so it's not totally unrealistic to imagine him here next season. The only roadblock I can see is Ramon, unless we trade him or get Wieters to play first and backup catch for Ramon in '08-'09.

I see on the other thread that most are projecting Wieters to hit the majors in 2009 or 2010. I ask - why so long?

This guy supposedly is the best college bat in the draft. If so, shouldn't his bat be ready as early as next year? I'm thinking of guys like Ryan Zimmerman here.

Assume his bat is ready next year. Should we keep him in the minors just because we have Ramon? Do we bring him up and let him be backup C/DH? Do we trade Ramon? Or do we keep Wieters in the minors to polish his defensive and game-calling skills?

There are a lot of question marks here. I can say though, one good thing about this is that he should be potentially catching most of our young talent in the minors and getting used to them early so when they hit the show a little after him, he will be ready. :002_ssmile:

From Scotty saying they might give him a taste of AA this year if he signs quick, I have a feeling that if he starts to produce, he will be moved right on through...

Kinda like Soul Coughing...

Move aside,

and let the man go through.

Let the man go through.

We should sell high on Ramon whether Wieters makes it or not, really

Archived