Official Orioles Draft Pick Thread

markpolis

I see on the other thread that most are projecting Wieters to hit the majors in 2009 or 2010. I ask - why so long?

This guy supposedly is the best college bat in the draft. If so, shouldn't his bat be ready as early as next year? I'm thinking of guys like Ryan Zimmerman here.

Assume his bat is ready next year. Should we keep him in the minors just because we have Ramon? Do we bring him up and let him be backup C/DH? Do we trade Ramon? Or do we keep Wieters in the minors to polish his defensive and game-calling skills?

We should have probably been looking to deal Ramon in July anyway...I was always on the fence about this but if with Wieters being here, it puts it over the top.

Shop him in July...If you don't trade him then, then you can look to trade him in the offseason.

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply
BTW, ask yourselves this question peeps - "When was the last time Boras represented a bust?" He knows baseball too.

Boras has represented more than his fair share of busts. I also believe he represented what many consider to be the biggest bust in recent memory - Brien Taylor #1 overall to the NY Yankees.

We should have probably been looking to deal Ramon in July anyway...I was always on the fence about this but if with Wieters being here, it puts it over the top.

Shop him in July...If you don't trade him then, then you can look to trade him in the offseason.

Why, he's a serious asset to the team, and the pitching staff. The second best defensive catcher in baseball (IRod). Don't pencil in Wieters into the HOF yet.

BTW, ask yourselves this question peeps - "When was the last time Boras represented a bust?" He knows baseball too.

Boras has represented too many busts to count. Major league baseball even want so far as to say that many of draft picks that Scott Boras got above slot bonuses didn't pan out.
Standing in his way will be his decidedly less-famous nemesis, Frank Coonelly, a man who goes by the title of MLB senior VP and general counsel for labor. Coonelly, the league's behind-the-scenes brains for the draft, has countered Boras' aggressive negotiating tactics with a successful "slotting" system, which assigns suggested dollar values for picks. Coonelly provided to SI a list of 18 Boras-only clients who received bonuses between $1 million and $3 million from 1998 to 2003, above the "slot" figure that MLB strongly recommends to teams, and haven't yet returned much on the investment. "There isn't a correlation between overpaying and productivity," Coonelly says. "There is a fairly long track record of clients Scott represented who signed 'above slot' who haven't panned out."

I don't know that he'd bring back all that much. I'd just assume stick with him as one never knows whether Weiters will develop quickly and it's not like we have someone else in the organization to step in immediately.

Boras has represented more than his fair share of busts. I also believe he represented what many consider to be the biggest bust in recent memory - Brien Taylor #1 overall to the NY Yankees.

After a fight ruined his arm. Bust is probably not the word for Taylor. He had talent and that was almost 20 years ago?

After a fight ruined his arm. Bust is probably not the word for Taylor. He had talent and that was almost 20 years ago?

Regardless of the reason I can't think of any other #1 overall picks who've failed to make the major leagues. But back to the point, the list of Boras busts is a long one.

Why, he's a serious asset to the team, and the pitching staff. The second best defensive catcher in baseball (IRod). Don't pencil in Wieters into the HOF yet.

I'm with SG on this.

The only caveat being that we get Weiters into the system quickly and he adapts quickly as well.

If thats the case it's not unreasonable to see him in Baltimore in '08.

I like Hernandez and agree that he's a valuable asset to this team but if we shop him we could make up for the lack of 2nd and 3rd rounders this year with a pickup of a nice prospect package.

I don't know that he'd bring back all that much. I'd just assume stick with him as one never knows whether Weiters will develop quickly and it's not like we have someone else in the organization to step in immediately.

I disagree with this.

And how many of those busts had to go back and pump gas in Topeka to pay the bills? Boras aggressively represents his clients, and does it well. His concern isn't making sure MLB teams always get steals with their picks.

I'm with SG on this.

The only caveat being that we get Weiters into the system quickly and he adapts quickly as well.

If thats the case it's not unreasonable to see him in Baltimore in '08.

I like Hernandez and agree that he's a valuable asset to this team but if we shop him we could make up for the lack of 2nd and 3rd rounders this year with a pickup of a nice prospect package.

OK, but let's see if the guy can handle a full season of professional baseball first.

I disagree with this.

If you are right, I'd be all for trading him but considering how little interest there was when he was a free agent, his age and his salary I just don't believe that there will be teams lined up to throw a lot of talen our way in return.

OK, but let's see if the guy can handle a full season of professional baseball first.

True.

He's missed the start of a minor league season but he's played a full season of college ball already.

He'll have a full plate this summer, no doubt...again, provided we sign him fast.

Archived