Could Britton pull out a Cy Young if he finishes with 50+/<.50?

tinamodotti

Does Britton have a realistic shot at the CYA?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Does Britton have a realistic shot at the CYA?

• Yes, he could really win if he finishes the season strong
    • He'll finish Top 10, but no way he is close to winning
    • Absolutely not, only starters should win the award

This poll is closed to new votes

o

Chris Davis had a dominant season in 2012, and he came in 3rd overall for the M..V.P. award.

I suspect that a similar fate awaits Zach Britton for the 2016 Cy Young Award voting ...... either 2nd overall for the Silver, or 3rd overall for the Bronze.

Either you made a typo or I have finally seen your legendary memory slip :P. Chris Davis' dominant season was in 2013. Although his 2012 was pretty good too.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Could Bundy or Kim win the AL ROY.

Doubtful. Michael Fulmer has the inside track there with a 9-2 record and 2.42 ERA. If he starts hitting again, Nomar Mazara would also be a candidate. Also have to keep an eye on Max Kepler and Tylor Naquin.

Heroics in a tight race could help him.

If the AL East goes down to the wire, and he stars in the final two weeks in series against the Red Sox and Blue Jays (October mode, 2-inning saves, etc) to help us win the division, that would play huge with some of the electorate.

It'll hurt his chances if anyone takes the division by 4-5 games.

When there is no clear favorite and a dozen or more semi-plausible candidates anything can happen, including ridiculous or logically indefensible choices. A near-perfect Britton wouldn't remotely be the worst Cy Young choice ever. In consecutive years they gave the award to Rollie Fingers, Pete Vuckovich and LaMarr Hoyt. The latter two weren't among the top five pitchers in the league.

When there is no clear favorite and a dozen or more semi-plausible candidates anything can happen, including ridiculous or logically indefensible choices. A near-perfect Britton wouldn't remotely be the worst Cy Young choice ever. In consecutive years they gave the award to Rollie Fingers, Pete Vuckovich and LaMarr Hoyt. The latter two weren't among the top five pitchers in the league.

Palmer would've won his 4th CY over Vuckovich if he'd won the season finale vs. Milwaukee in '82.

He's in play for the Cy - but consider this - if he finishes this year strong it'll be a contender for greatest relief season ever. Right now a good Britton finish to the year and no blown save - and he throws up the greatest relief season ever. That's definitely in play. I see no evidence of teams breaking through against Zach. The only times he's remotely vulnerable is when his command is off -otherwise unhittable. You could also argue his career performance as a reliever to this point has been the greatest start to a relief career in history. Better than Eck, better than Mariano, better than everyone ever. So, that's good. Pretty happy to have seen that.

Zach would be way better than Steve Bedrosian in 1987. Yes, Steve Bedrosian is a Cy Young winner. 40 saves/ 8 blown, 2.87 ERA. His team even finished below .500. Less than stellar numbers from the starters that year, though. Nolan Ryan somehow went 8-16 with a 2.76 and 11.5 K/9.

There are no run away choices in the AL so Britton should be in the conversation and if he goes the rest of the way with out blowing a save and with only one or two more ERs, he's got a shot. I think he's got to have an absolutely rediculous season to top a very good season from a SP, but unless Sale gets red hot or Hamels or Estrada pad their numbers some more there's a chance. I think Sanchez going to the pen helps and Hamels having a WHIP of 1.25 helps, too. While it probably shouldn't matter, the lack of wins for Quintana and Estrada may play a roll.

From what I read, Sanchez isn't going to the bullpen.

Archived