Could Britton pull out a Cy Young if he finishes with 50+/<.50?

tinamodotti

Does Britton have a realistic shot at the CYA?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Does Britton have a realistic shot at the CYA?

• Yes, he could really win if he finishes the season strong
    • He'll finish Top 10, but no way he is close to winning
    • Absolutely not, only starters should win the award

This poll is closed to new votes

There are no run away choices in the AL so Britton should be in the conversation and if he goes the rest of the way with out blowing a save and with only one or two more ERs, he's got a shot. I think he's got to have an absolutely rediculous season to top a very good season from a SP, but unless Sale gets red hot or Hamels or Estrada pad their numbers some more there's a chance. I think Sanchez going to the pen helps and Hamels having a WHIP of 1.25 helps, too. While it probably shouldn't matter, the lack of wins for Quintana and Estrada may play a roll.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just want him to end up perfect in saves. But if he were to have a chance at Cy, I think it's got to be clear that he was substantially better than any other reliever in the AL - something like the next best reliever has at least 4 blown saves and an ERA over 1. That would separate him.

The last two closers to win the Cy Young were Gagne in 2003 and Eck in 1992. Let's take a look at their stats:

Gagne: 2-3 1.20 ERA 55 Saves (0 BS) ERA+ 337

Eck: 7-1 1.91 ERA 51 Saves (3 BS) ERA+ 195

Zach: 2-1 ERA 0.59 33 Saves (0 BS) ERA+ 749

If Zach keeps it up, I don't see any reason he shouldn't. Additionally, there really isn't a hands down dominant pitcher in the AL this year, so that certainly helps Zach's chances.

Either way, I'd rather Zach just have a ring at the end of the year. :)

The last two closers to win the Cy Young were Gagne in 2003 and Eck in 1992. Let's take a look at their stats:

If Zach keeps it up, I don't see any reason he shouldn't. Additionally, there really isn't a hands down dominant pitcher in the AL this year, so that certainly helps Zach's chances.

Yes, I would prefer that he win WSMVP rather than CY. :)

Strasburg and Scherzer are both having phenominal years. And Strasburg's record being 15-1 is what the older voters focus on.

I wouldn't label it as impossible, given that the AL hasn't had anyone run away with it this year, but I'd call it highly unlikely.

Wade Davis finished 6th in AL voting last year, with 10 points. To put that in perspective, Dallas Keuchel won with 189 points.

Kimbrel got as high as 4th in 2013, with 39 points.

K-Rod went as high as 3rd in 2008, with 32 points.

Trevor Hoffman got really, really close in 2006, finished 2nd with 77 points, not far off Brandon Webb's 103.

For the record, not a one of those guys had numbers that'll be close to Zach's, should he hold course. Point being, historically it is possible. I'd still call it unlikely, but possible. The "streak" grabbed a ton of headlines in 2003, and really helped Gagne steal the votes required to push him over the top. Zach doesn't have that going for him.

Hmm... IMHO, likely World Series MVP candidates in front of Britton include:

- Manny Machado

- Mark Trumbo

- Chris Tillman

- Hyun-soo Kim

- Dylan Bundy

- Chris Davis (?)

Just my opinion...

My only preference as to who wins the WSMVP is that it be an Oriole. Don't care which one.

I will say yes, given the hypothetical you posed (50 saves, ERA under 0.50). That would truly be an historic season. Moreover, there is no starting pitcher right now who would be the odds-on choice among the starters. Of course, with two months left to play, a starter might emerge as the obvious candidate.

Mind you, I'm talking about whether Britton could win it in that scenario, not whether he should win it. That's an entirely different question.

There are no run away choices in the AL so Britton should be in the conversation and if he goes the rest of the way with out blowing a save and with only one or two more ERs, he's got a shot. I think he's got to have an absolutely rediculous season to top a very good season from a SP, but unless Sale gets red hot or Hamels or Estrada pad their numbers some more there's a chance. I think Sanchez going to the pen helps and Hamels having a WHIP of 1.25 helps, too. While it probably shouldn't matter, the lack of wins for Quintana and Estrada may play a roll.

I agree with all of this. It looks like a rare off year as far as dominant starter performances in the AL, which opens the door for a truly remarkable reliever year to win a CY. I could definitely see it.

Sale goes 3-5 the rest of the way (17-10). Finishes with >3.45 ERA. Is a jerk to reporters.

Britton has 100% save percentage. ERA <1. Is kind to reporters. His team wins win the division. Saves a kid from getting hit by a car or adopts a three-legged dog from the pound.

This is what needs to happen. It could happen.

Archived