Wall Street Journal: Slowest MLB team in 50 years

fansince79

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You remember Earl's rant about "team speed", don't you? His teams did pretty well .

Weaver's rant (and his reputation for eschewing the stolen base) was highly exaggerated.

The 1973 Orioles (A.L. East champions) led the American League in stolen bases.

The 1974 Orioles (A.L. East champions) were 3rd in the American League in stolen bases.

Reggie Jackson ...... one of the greatest power hitters of all-time ...... set a career high for stolen bases (28) in his lone season playing for Weaver and the Orioles, even though he missed the first month of the season due to a holdout.

You remember Earl's rant about "team speed", don't you? His teams did pretty well .

Weaver's rant (and his reputation for eschewing the stolen base) was highly exaggerated.

The 1973 Orioles (A.L. East champions) led the American League in stolen bases.

The 1974 Orioles (A.L. East champions) were 3rd in the American League in stolen bases.

Reggie Jackson ...... one of the greatest power hitters of all-time ...... set a career high for stolen bases (28) in his lone season playing for Weaver and the Orioles, even though he missed the first month of the season due to a holdout.

And in my rat's ass of an opinion, this is one of the aspects that made Weaver such a great manager.

He had a general preference for power over speed on offense, but he adapted to whatever his teams needed to win, based on the roster that he had to work with.

Its not noteworthy, IMO.
No one is complaining about it. It is interesting though.
Its not noteworthy, IMO.

Exactly. If we win the WS with historically low SBs, it would be a massive vindication of the school of thought that SBs are over-rated. Good or bad, it is at least interesting.

What is the record for most solo home runs in a season? The 2016 O's should be among the all-time leaders in this offensive category.

Only because they are going to be one of the all-time leaders in total homers. 60.2% of the Orioles homers have been solos. League-wide, the average is 60.7%. So, despite the rash of solo homers in the Texas series, we don't hit a higher percentage of solo homers than the average team does.

I don't know the record for most solo homers, but the year Seattle set the overall record of 263, 152 of them were solos (57.7%). The O's are on a pace to hit 147 solos this year (and 244 total).

1930 Yankees were the last team to have 110 triples in a season. I wonder if players were just faster back then.

They were almost certainly slower on average. And that's actually part of the decline in triples - outfield defense is much better, and they play much farther back. Tris Speaker probably played 75' shorter than Adam Jones, and he was often playing in parks with something like a 505' sign in center.

In 1930 Yankee Stadium was over 450' to LC, and I believe 461' to center.

In the deadball era probably 30% of homers were inside-the-park. Has there ever been an ISTP homer in OPACY? You'd almost have to have the RFer and CFer collide and knock each other out. In the Polo Grounds you just hit a liner over the CFer and watch it bounce around the Eddie Grant memorial 480' from the plate.

And Baines, Wells, and Sid Fernandez were probably slower than anyone on this team.

But none of them are as slow as Edwin Encarnacion or David Ortiz after they've hit a grounder to the infield.

And both because they "pimp their stride" :slytf:

Only because they are going to be one of the all-time leaders in total homers. 60.2% of the Orioles homers have been solos. League-wide, the average is 60.7%. So, despite the rash of solo homers in the Texas series, we don't hit a higher percentage of solo homers than the average team does.

I don't know the record for most solo homers, but the year Seattle set the overall record of 263, 152 of them were solos (57.7%). The O's are on a pace to hit 147 solos this year (and 244 total).

Thanks. I feel much better now.

Archived