Ubaldo, Wade, and Yovani -- Who gets dumped after 2016?

FanSince88

Who to dump in the offseason?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Who to dump in the offseason?

• Yovani
    • Ubaldo
    • Wade
    • Yovani and Wade
    • Yovani and Ubaldo
    • Wade and Ubaldo
    • All three
    • None

In my opinion, we cannot afford to have all three of Ubaldo, Wade, and Yovani on our team taking up roster spots next season. At least one of them has to go. We will have Tillman, Gausman, and Bundy penned into the starting rotation...if we need placeholders we can keep any two of those guys. But having all three is a waste of valuable roster space. Who do we dump in exchange for a bag of balls in the offseason?

In my opinion, we cannot afford to have all three of Ubaldo, Wade, and Yovani on our team taking up roster spots next season. At least one of them has to go. We will have Tillman, Gausman, and Bundy penned into the starting rotation...if we need placeholders we can keep any two of those guys. But having all three is a waste of valuable roster space. Who do we dump in exchange for a bag of balls in the offseason?

The only one with any positive value at all is Gallardo, but then again, he has been doing OK, better than anyone we have at AAA currently. Miley could have some interest if he has some solid games down the stretch. I don't think any of these guys are worth even a bag of balls unless the Orioles throw in cash, which I have a hard time seeing them do.

If I'm the GM, Ubaldo is gone from this group, and he probably would've been gone awhile ago.

If you're asking me to predict the future...........honestly I wouldn't be surprised if all three of them report to Spring Training with us in 2017.

I don't think Wade can pitch at Camden Yards. He will be moved in a trade. He seems moveable based on his track record. I think they hold onto Gallardo. Jimenez could be moved as well in one bad contract for another. Could we be interested in

Ryan Braun?

Braun is not a bad contract and whatever is left of MIL's fanbase would have a mutiny if they traded him. If they move him, they would be expecting prospects for a 3+ WAR, .900+ OPS OF.

If they dump Ubaldo for nothing then the obvious question is why did they keep him during a playoff run and weaken the bullpen?

I still wonder if Bundy starts in the pen next April as a way to limit his innings. I think Miley could be dealt as well.

If they dump Ubaldo for nothing then the obvious question is why did they keep him during a playoff run and weaken the bullpen?

I still wonder if Bundy starts in the pen next April as a way to limit his innings. I think Miley could be dealt as well.

Exactly. And if they are willing to go to such lengths to keep Ubaldo right now, there is no way they are cutting Gallardo or Miley loose.

Gallardo stays, he hasn't been pitching that bad. Heck, I'll take 3 ER over 7 any day of the week. Ubaldo has almost zero trade value, and I think they could probably move Miley since he's left handed, has a lower salary, and has been at least somewhat serviceable. That said, I think Ubaldo is the odd man out. Miley might be at least salvageable, plus he's a lefty. Ubaldo has run out of chances. I think he either gets released this offseason, or more likely, they bring them all to ST and let them compete for the bottom of the rotation and to insure against injuries to other starters. I think one of them will probably get the Miguel Gonzalez treatment late in ST assuming there are no injury issues.

ST 2017 Rotation candidates:

Tillman

Gausman

Bundy

Gallardo

Miley

Jimenez

*wild card (FA of some sort, maybe a minor league prospect takes a step forward?)

Well, Miley is the cheapest of the bunch at $9m.

My gut is Gallardo sticks around. He'll finally do some strengthening in the offseason.

So it comes down to who stinks in spring training, I suppose.

But my guess is they're both on the Opening Day roster and they'll only cut one shortly after if they're as bad as Bud Norris was last year.

My money is on Ubaldo.

Gallardo is kept. Seems to me that when healthy he is decent enough to be a MLB starter still even if we don't love him.

Miley, to me it depends how he performs the rest of the year. He doesn't have a history of being this horrible. Maybe he's done for some reason and if it appears so you salary dump him if you can. But if he shows signs of life in September or in Spring Training, I say we probably keep him. An average-ish SP is valuable for us. Think of how much we wish we had Miguel Gonzalez' average-ish performance this year.

Jimenez seems most likely done. Salary dump if possible. If not, which seems likely, keep him through Spring Training on the off chance he turns it around. But if he looks this bad in Spring, I'd say release him and give his spot to a better pitcher despite the sunk cost.

I think Ubaldo was not on the playoff roster in 2014. I foresee the same if there's a playoff run for the O's this year. No need for a mop up guy in postseason.

EDIT: I see you mean the playoff run, not the playoffs themselves. But there are games when there are 40 or so left where a mop up guy saves other arms. Of course, it's not why he got the big contract.

If I'm the GM, Ubaldo is gone from this group, and he probably would've been gone awhile ago.

If you're asking me to predict the future...........honestly I wouldn't be surprised if all three of them report to Spring Training with us in 2017.

As GM can we hear your argument to PA as to why he should eat 13M?

Archived