Tillman having shoulder issues still

eddie83

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
With Tillman going to the DL, who are we going to call up? Wilson and Despaigne would be eligible since an injury happened. I wouldn't mind Drake for a game and then call up a long guy tomorrow.

I thought they scratched Gunkel so he would be coming up. Ubaldo starting on Thursday would not preclude Gunkel from joining the bullpen.

I'm surprised that no one in the media (or here for that matter) is asking what specifically is wrong with the shoulder? Doesn't anyone wonder why they're not doing an MRI (Buck said last night none was planned)? Seems to me you'd want to try and determine for sure whether it's a muscle issue, tendon, rotator cuff, etc. There's been no specific reference reference to what is wrong other than "shoulder soreness." Well, that can be a bunch of different things. Seems to me they'd like to know for sure what exactly the problem is. I dunno, maybe they do know and just don't want to announce it, I dunno. I just found it odd.

I'm surprised that no one in the media (or here for that matter) is asking what specifically is wrong with the shoulder? Doesn't anyone wonder why they're not doing an MRI (Buck said last night none was planned)? Seems to me you'd want to try and determine for sure whether it's a muscle issue, tendon, rotator cuff, etc. There's been no specific reference reference to what is wrong other than "shoulder soreness." Well, that can be a bunch of different things. Seems to me they'd like to know for sure what exactly the problem is. I dunno, maybe they do know and just don't want to announce it, I dunno. I just found it odd.

Orioles have that state controlled media. It's North Korea like.

My MLB alert app says it's Shoulder Bursitis.

Google search says that Clay Buchholz has shoulder bursitis in 2013. This was a quote by his manager, John Farrell at the time. "He's in a couple of days shut-down period. We're hopeful that he'll initiate a throwing program, likely on the weekend. Structurally everything is good and I think that's the most encouraging thing at this point. As I mentioned yesterday, he had two good work days with more intense throwing. So there's small amounts of improvement but yet we've got to take a little bit of a step back here before we pick it back up again." John Farrell made that statement on June 27, 2013. Clay Buchholz didn't pitch again until August 25 of that year......

Have to wonder how much starting the other day set him back?

Good question. In his interview yesterday (and I think it was quoted verbatim by Roch or Melewski), he said the first pain he had actually throwing was yesterday's work day. Buck said he could see the winces on his face. So in the context of the interview, it seems it was not sore when he pitched last. But I can certainly see how that got it more inflamed from that. I do wish someone had asked him directly, though in yesterday's inteview. He claimed it was rust and out of rhythem issues for the last start. Many doubt that. I was one who took him at his word. This guessing game is so vexing on diehards like us who follow ever utterance.

Bottom line, let's hope the minimum DL stay heals him up, the patched up rotation holds the line and the bats stay hot.

Good question. In his interview yesterday (and I think it was quoted verbatim by Roch or Melewski), he said the first pain he had actually throwing was yesterday's work day. Buck said he could see the winces on his face. So in the context of the interview, it seems it was not sore when he pitched last. But I can certainly see how that got it more inflamed from that. I do wish someone had asked him directly, though in yesterday's inteview. He claimed it was rust and out of rhythem issues for the last start. Many doubt that. I was one who took him at his word. This guessing game is so vexing on diehards like us who follow ever utterance.

Bottom line, let's hope the minimum DL stay heals him up, the patched up rotation holds the line and the bats stay hot.

Or that Mike Wright throws 98.

Tillman is the fourth Orioles pitcher this year to get a cortisone shot in his shoulder.

- Gausman got a shot on March 20, pitched his first ML game April 25 (first rehab appearance was April 10)

- Gallardo got a shot on April 25, pitched his first ML game on June 18 (first rehab appearance was June 2)

- O'Day got a shot on August 13, hasn't pitched a rehab game yet.

Every situation is different. There's pretty good reason to think that Tillman's situation is not as serious as Gallardo's was, and Tillman is in better "pitching shape" now that Gausman was in mid-spring when he probably hadn't thrown more than 3-4 innings in an outing, so I would hope that Tillman can bounce back faster. Still, I don't know how likely it is that Tillman will be ready to start by Sept. 5 when he's eligible to come off the DL.

I can understand giving Tillman the start, but they left him in way too long. It was maddening to see the lack of caution being exercised with our top starting pitcher!

Archived