Will the fans show?

Todd-O

Good point--It's as if the p.r. dept. forgot to come up with something to support the team.

I mean you have to do something. They have done nothing. Don't get it. Like I sais there may be plenty of good ideas floating around the warehouse but management has to listen.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good point--It's as if the p.r. dept. forgot to come up with something to support the team.

Is it complacency from fans and front office? Are we "used" to winning now after 5 years?

I sure as hell am not.

This is what I just posted on facebook in response to Dan Connolly post about "why do O?s fans dislike these O?s so much?"

"There is a huge amount of "new" Orioles fans that came in to existence in 2012. These fans are Ravens fans and have "football mentality" of the sky is falling after each game. There's also two distinct group of fans albeit not 100% of Orioles fans. Those who are also stuck in their mentality of 10 years ago where nothing they can do is enough or right, no matter if they are making the playoffs year in and year out...They should bunt more, pitch complete games 100% of the time, spend money on a top of the line starter blah blah blah. And the other group is the complacent "new" fans who think that the Orioles are a perennial playoff team and until they do something different (World Series) they aren't going to be any more interested.

All of this is frustrating as someone who has supported the team for their entire life...and went to more games this year than any."

Was at the stadium last night. Lots of thoughts. Attendance was piss poor and there were so many Sox fans. Could hardly drown out the "Lets Go Sox" chants.

I agree that they need some kind of rallying cry for the fans. The entire atmosphere at the stadium was flat. At least "We Won't Stop" got people chanting.

I'm going again tonight. I refuse to be a part of the problem. I'm going to boo Papi and watch our boys turn this into a race.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has the team produced a Thank You fans video like other years?

2012 was Glad You Came.

2014 We Won't Stop

I know they had one in 13 but I don't remember it as well.

I for one won't miss it if they don't.

It is a nice gesture and all but very painful to watch.

I'd rather they just film some of the players making statements of gratitude.

I for one won't miss it if they don't.

It is a nice gesture and all but very painful to watch.

I'd rather they just film some of the players making statements of gratitude.

It isn't for everybody but many people like it because it shows the players personality. I mean we see these guys play 162 times a year, unlike football their faces aren't covered up by a face mask.

I mean does anyone in Baltimore know a thing about Mark Trumbo?

Where are commercials with Manny and Schoop?

What about Buck and Adam Jones? Wayne Kirby would be great in a commercial.

The club doesn't highlight any of the personalities on this team.

It will take Baltimore and the Orioles 5 years to recover from the riots, at least. Attendance is so bad because a vast swath of people aren't considering going downtown for entertainment.

That is a factor, just hard to put a percentage on it.

I know someone who isn't going to Ravens games because his wife for one is worried about a terrorist attack.

It will take Baltimore and the Orioles 5 years to recover from the riots, at least. Attendance is so bad because a vast swath of people aren't considering going downtown for entertainment.

This x 100.

People don't want to believe it but it is obviously a factor. Take out whether you think it's "right" or "justified" and just think if other people might have this mentality. There is an increased racial divide in this country right now...Baltimore was at the center of that last year. This type of stuff lingers in people's minds. I may not agree with what people think about going to Baltimore, but I can at least understand WHY they think that way.

It is a larger factor than people want to admit.

I think not striking while the iron was hot in 2015, after the success in 2014 turned off a lot of fans in that age group. Myself being in that age group, and having a lot of friends who are fans that are of similar age, this is a very real sentiment. So after the poor 2015 and then bringing back largely the same team in 2016, it didn't exactly rekindle the fire in a lot of fans in that demographic.

As a fan having seen very little winning Orioles baseball in my lifetime, 2015 was a gut punch. And it certainly turned off some of the more casual fans in my age range.

So because of that, 25-34 year old fans aren't showing up when the Orioles are in the hunt in the last 11 home games of the year? I repeat, that is pathetic. Here's a game, it's really important and potentially exciting, and fans won't go because they are unhappy about something the team did two offseasons ago? If so, they are lousy fans.

This x 100.

People don't want to believe it but it is obviously a factor. Take out whether you think it's "right" or "justified" and just think if other people might have this mentality. There is an increased racial divide in this country right now...Baltimore was at the center of that last year. This type of stuff lingers in people's minds. I may not agree with what people think about going to Baltimore, but I can at least understand WHY they think that way.

It is a larger factor than people want to admit.

I've accepted it is a factor, even though I must say that I have never felt even the slightest bit unsafe going to a game at OPACY. I still don't think that causes only 18,000 to show up for a Red Sox game with major playoff ramifications at this time of year.

I've accepted it is a factor, even though I must say that I have never felt even the slightest bit unsafe going to a game at OPACY. I still don't think that causes only 18,000 to show up for a Red Sox game with major playoff ramifications at this time of year.

I agree that Baltimore is not "less safe" than it was 5 years ago, but people believe that it is.

It's also obviously not the only factor in attendance issues. I do think that is a larger factor than people want to think. I personally don't think it's too much of a reach to say that a crowd of 24000 might be 20000 now due to the perceived "danger" of Baltimore, racial divide/issues, riots of 2015 and other similar issues. I think the amount of people staying away because of these things is a significantly larger % than most of us want to believe.

So because of that, 25-34 year old fans aren't showing up when the Orioles are in the hunt in the last 11 home games of the year? I repeat, that is pathetic. Here's a game, it's really important and potentially exciting, and fans won't go because they are unhappy about something the team did two offseasons ago? If so, they are lousy fans.

You can think whatever you like. Fact is, people in your generation grew up with a great team and a winning tradition - your generation had something to latch onto and be proud of. Fans in my generation grew up with some pretty terrible baseball for a prolonged period of time. Fans from my generation aren't nearly as attached to baseball and the Orioles as some of you older folks. It's all Ravens, all the time.

Then just when the team was starting to build a more dedicated following they let the fans down in 2015. You can blame fans of my generation all you want, but the Orioles organization dropped the ball big time.

Archived