Original Talent Standings - FiveThirtyEight Article

dorfmac

As if we needed any more confirmation that we are hopeless when it comes to identifying, drafting, and developing talent.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/how-the-mlb-standings-would-look-if-teams-stuck-with-whoever-they-drafted/

Or it could be viewed as confirmation that Duquette and Buck know how to build and manage a club despite poor drafts (especially during the J. Jordan era).

Or it could be viewed as confirmation that Duquette and Buck know how to build and manage a club despite poor drafts (especially during the J. Jordan era).

I had actually typed another sentence to that effect but deleted before posting. Got to give Andy credit too as Jones, Davis, and Tillman have been a big reason for our success.

That's how I would read into that. Look at all the scrap heap pickups that have come up big for us. Buck is a master at getting guys in the right spots where they will have the best chance at success. Rarely does he ask a guy to do too much.

Don't forget Andy, who brought us Jones, Tillman, Hardy, Davis, etc. Four guys we didn't draft who have been huge for this team the entirety of the last five years.

Go_Os said:

Or it could be viewed as confirmation that Duquette and Buck know how to build and manage a club despite poor drafts (especially during the J. Jordan era.)

Frobby said:

Don't forget Andy, who brought us Jones, Tillman, Hardy, Davis, etc. Four guys we didn't draft who have been huge for this team the entirety of the last five years.

o

I give a lot of credit to both MacPhail and Duqutte in regard to the Orioles' turnaround of the franchise as we now know it (2012-2016.)

o

I had actually typed another sentence to that effect but deleted before posting. Got to give Andy credit too as Jones, Davis, and Tillman have been a big reason for our success.

All of those players were acquired through trades. The drafts under MacPhail were horrible except for the no-brainer high first round picks (Machado and Bundy).

Even Wieters was not MacPhail and Jordan.

I know. That's why I didn't use him as one of the examples. I find it interesting how much better Joe Jordan's drafts were under the Flanny/Jim Duquette regime than it was under the Andy MacPhail regime. From 2005-2007, the Orioles drafted future All-Stars Zach Britton, Tony Watson, Matt Wieters and Jake Arrieta. But from 2008-2011, the best players drafted by the Orioles not named Machado or Bundy were Mychal Givens, Brian Matusz and Caleb Joseph. And if you look at those three players, Givens wasn't even drafted to be a pitcher and Matusz was a massive disappointment. I don't know what kind of changes MacPhail made with the amateur scouting department but it seems like the amateur scouting actually took a downturn for the worse under MacPhail.

Tony Watson

I know. That's why I didn't use him as one of the examples. I find it interesting how much better Joe Jordan's drafts were under the Flanny/Jim Duquette regime than it was under the Andy MacPhail regime. From 2005-2007, the Orioles drafted future All-Stars Zach Britton, Tony Watson, Matt Wieters and Jake Arrieta. But from 2008-2011, the best players drafted by the Orioles not named Machado or Bundy were Mychal Givens, Brian Matusz and Caleb Joseph. And if you look at those three players, Givens wasn't even drafted to be a pitcher and Matusz was a massive disappointment. I don't know what kind of changes MacPhail made with the amateur scouting department but it seems like the amateur scouting actually took a downturn for the worse under MacPhail.

Transactions

June 3, 2003: Drafted by the Florida Marlins in the 23rd round of the 2003 amateur draft, but did not sign.

June 6, 2006: Drafted by the Baltimore Orioles in the 17th round of the 2006 amateur draft, but did not sign.

June 7, 2007: Drafted by the Pittsburgh Pirates in the 9th round of the 2007 amateur draft. Player signed June 9, 2007.

Other folks were drafted and unsigned.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/g/garcija02.shtml

Archived