Any Word on Davis' Injury?

Filmstudy

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No question about it, he has.

I think, its brothered him, and he has played through it.

I think he got hit harder by that flu bug/virus thingy than most of us realized.

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense to me. Pretty much saps all your energy...can't really workout, hit...anything. You lose your timing, groove. And then it gets into your head.

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense to me. Pretty much saps all your energy...can't really workout, hit...anything. You lose your timing, groove. And then it gets into your head.

On the other hand, maybe you shouldn't always play through it? We always write as if the person who sucks it up and keeps going is good, but maybe he should have sat down more and someone should have played. A generic comment, not necessarily true to this particular situation.

On the other hand, maybe you shouldn't always play through it? We always write as if the person who sucks it up and keeps going is good, but maybe he should have sat down more and someone should have played. A generic comment, not necessarily true to this particular situation.

Oh, I couldn't agree more.

I despise when players play through injuries. It's once thing to play through a nagging hamstring or something that is more of an aggravating pain...but what O'Day and Tillman did was idiotic and irresponsible. And it happens all the time.

Like Elsburry did that one year? Na, I think the game self polices stuff like that. And the effectiveness of the athlete does as well.

Like Elsburry did that one year? Na, I think the game self polices stuff like that. And the effectiveness of the athlete does as well.

I'm not so sure it does:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-orioles-darren-o-day-exacerbated-rotator-cuff-injury-by-trying-to-pitch-through-it-in-oakland-20160819-story.html

In particular, this:

“I felt the pain Monday night [in Oakland on Aug. 8],” O’Day said. “I pitched a scoreless inning, we ended up losing, 3-2. I felt it against Billy Butler. I threw a fastball away, and had a really stiff shoulder the next few days. Tried to manage it, but going out and pitching didn’t make it better.”

O’Day flew back to Baltimore on Aug. 12 to have his shoulder examined, and was placed on the DL after a cortisone shot the following day. Even with the shot, which is meant to reduce inflammation, O’Day said he’s still in the pain removal stage of his recovery.

What this quote is leaving out is O'Day pitched *again* on August 11th...3 days after feeling the pain while pitching. And he went 1/3 of an inning, allowed 2 hits, a walk and 2 ER.

Tillman is another prime example. You're having shoulder issues...and then you decide to pitch...and allow 6 ER in only 2 IP.

I am very curious about how this clubs evaluates whether someone should be playing/not playing prior to throwing a pitch in a real game. Because Tillman easily lose that game for the O's (they lost 15-5).

And these are just 2 recent examples.

Archived