Positional Focus: 2B

In a multi-thread series I'll focus on the different positions on the field, in the following order...

Part One: Catcher

Part Two: 1B

Part Three: 2B

Part Four: SS

Part Five: 3B

Part Six: Corner Outfielder

Part Seven: CF

Part Eight: Starting Pitcher

Part Nine: Closer/Reliever

Positional Focus: 2B

Overall it's a down year depth-wise at second base, yet collegians Jemile Weeks, Reese Havens and Ryan Flaherty are solid candidates while Colorado HS'er Andy Burns is rising up the prospects list.

The brother of the Milwaukee Brewer's Rickie Weeks, Jemile stars and bats leadoff for the Miami Hurricanes, showcasing good speed and the ability to get on base. His power has taken a jump upwards this season, but many scouts doubt that he'll hit HR's as a pro. He is merely adequate as a defender, and some believe he'll eventually move to CF. Time will tell. Some see him as a first rounder, while others perhaps in round two.

Reese Havens plays SS for South Carolina, but almost assuredly will move to 2B or possibly 3B as a pro. I'm inclined to see him at 2B. Scouts have been curious as to why the lefty struggled in his freshman and sophomore campaigns, when most felt he was a high-round talent... well, he proved their original analysis true by bursting out this season. Havens has 15 HR's and is batting north of .370, showing the ability to handle SS in college, but again, destined to slide over as a pro. I like Reese and see him off the board in R1.

Vandy's Ryan Flaherty, like Havens, plays SS for his college and hits left-handed, and also like Havens seems destined for 2B. I believed that the 6' 2Flaherty could handle SS earlier this season, but his shaky showing has me seeing him at 2B, where he'll make fewer mistakes. His average this season (.320'ish) has me concerned about his value as a pro, and while many see him going in R2, I wouldn't be surprised if he tumbled down to R3. Flaherty may never hit over .275 as a pro, and with merely decent pop and no speed, he may project better as a utility player than a solid ML'er. This change in opinion from early this season is subject to change, but Flaherty needs to really pour it on here to woo me. :D

Andy Burns is a 6' 2-185 lbs SS from Rocky Mountain High in Colorado, but as with many SS's, he'll move to 2B as a pro. Burns struggled for a good part of the year, but has been back to normal more recently hitting three homers in one game. He profiles as a good average, decent speed, solid power 2B'man, and likely is off the board by R3.

Next> Positional Focus: SS

This year was definitely a disappointing one for many college 2Bmen. You mentioned that Flaherty has slide this year. Two other guys who had great years in 2007 and were poised to go in the top 3 rounds this year were David Adams (Virginia) and Blake Stouffer (Texas A&M). Needless to say they struggled this year. Adams is only hitting .300 and Stouffer only .265. They hit .372 and .398 last season - that's a big drop-off. Stouffer was drafted in the 4th round last season. He'll have to wait a lot longer this year.

Greg, I'm a big Weeks fan. Personally, I think he can stick at 2B and I think his production and bloodlines will see him drafted in the 1st round. It'll be interesting to see what happens with him, since there is a decent range of opinions on him.

Does anyone know how HS 2Bman Riccio Torrez has done? I really liked the scouting reports on him preseason.

This year was definitely a disappointing one for many college 2Bmen. You mentioned that Flaherty has slide this year. Two other guys who had great years in 2007 and were poised to go in the top 3 rounds this year were David Adams (Virginia) and Blake Stouffer (Texas A&M). Needless to say they struggled this year. Adams is only hitting .300 and Stouffer only .265. They hit .372 and .398 last season - that's a big drop-off. Stouffer was drafted in the 4th round last season. He'll have to wait a lot longer this year.

Greg, I'm a big Weeks fan. Personally, I think he can stick at 2B and I think his production and bloodlines will see him drafted in the 1st round. It'll be interesting to see what happens with him, since there is a decent range of opinions on him.

Does anyone know how HS 2Bman Riccio Torrez has done? I really liked the scouting reports on him preseason.

Torrez was on my watch list also. I'm still trying to see how he's played this year... I'll get back if I find anything. I get a lot of emails from the site with fans and such looking for my rating of Player X, so I am having a real hard time doing all this research... argh!! LOL

I agree that Adams and Stouffer have been atrocious, so I didn't bother to mention them. ;) Good post however.

Torrez was on my watch list also. I'm still trying to see how he's played this year... I'll get back if I find anything. I get a lot of emails from the site with fans and such looking for my rating of Player X, so I am having a real hard time doing all this research... argh!! LOL

I agree that Adams and Stouffer have been atrocious, so I didn't bother to mention them. ;) Good post however.

I didn't think of this before, but David Adams is only a junior. Do you think he'll choose to return for his senior year? I can't imagine him getting much of an offer ($) so the idea of finishing his education and trying to raise his stock with a big senior season would have to be enticing.

I should have expected you to be getting tons of questions from people asking about different players. If you're trying to keep up with all of it, I'll bet that can get overwhelming. You do a good job though. Thanks for all your hard work :)

I didn't think of this before, but David Adams is only a junior. Do you think he'll choose to return for his senior year? I can't imagine him getting much of an offer ($) so the idea of finishing his education and trying to raise his stock with a big senior season would have to be enticing.

I should have expected you to be getting tons of questions from people asking about different players. If you're trying to keep up with all of it, I'll bet that can get overwhelming. You do a good job though. Thanks for all your hard work :)

Thanks again.

Hard to say as regards Adams, but coming back for a season year isn't necessarily the right move. Getting the best instruction anywhere is what he needs, and while he may earn a better payday with a big senior year, I think he needs to come out and work hard.

Archived