Disheartening quote from Duquette in this article

miggyfan

I'm with Corn on this. Just from the eye test alone, watching 150-some games, I don't think Jones was as good in CF this year as in previous years.

The defensive stats, which I always am very cautious about putting a lot of stock in, back that up.

I saw more balls over his head this year. I saw fewer "gems" from him this year.

I think Jones was hurt pretty badly this season. All year.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here is what DD said:

Duquette said the Orioles will likely replicate their 2016 approach -- lots of power, good defense and a strong bullpen -- in 2017 as they try to earn a playoff spot for the fourth time in six seasons. They are looking to improve their starting rotation, though Duquette and Showalter both spoke of the importance of getting help from the entire team to win games on a regular basis.

"This American League East is a tough, tough division," Duquette said. "We're facing a good team night in and night out. We like to have power throughout our lineup. The power plays pretty well in our ballpark. They don't have any fielders on the other side of the fence."

He said it is "likely"

I dont find it all that disheartening. He isnt saying they will ignore starting pitching. He actually said they will look to improve it.

You guys act like DD can just dial up 1-800-Starting Pitcher and get some TOR guys with a simple phone call.

Yes, that is exactly what I was saying. 1-800-Starting Pitcher. That's clever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why would he change the approach? We were one of the top 10 teams, we made the playoffs, and played another playoff team even for 11 innings.

There is a difference between being good and being great. I love the fact that we have made the play-offs 3 out of 5 years...I love being competitive rather than out of it by June. You know what I'd also love? A World Series championship, and without some slight tweaks to our roster, it's not going to happen.

There is a difference between being good and being great. I love the fact that we have made the play-offs 3 out of 5 years...I love being competitive rather than out of it by June. You know what I'd also love? A World Series championship, and without some slight tweaks to our roster, it's not going to happen.

Well said. Teams like the Yankees, Red Sox, Cardinals and Giants who aren't satisfied with simply making the postseason and losing are that much more motivated to get better and win it next season. The Orioles have no such discernible interest in anything other than being competitive in the regular season, making the playoffs and losing and that has become the new losing culture in Baltimore. Showalter isn't even a top five manager in baseball and embodies the "good, but not great" thing you pointed out. The Orioles (and many of it's fans apparently) are perfectly content being good but not great because oh we lost for 14 years, so now anything better than that is the new World Series. I detest that mentality because it is still a losing mentality and an accepted one. I think more than "slight tweaks" are necessary and I am not content being in favor of sticking with a team that I don't believe can win or even compete for said World Championship. Staying the course is a waste of time. I would rather rebuild with a huge head start with that realization in mind and being more than enough to forgo it instead of starting from scratch with next to nothing after DD having mortgaged the future and dealt away 3/5ths of a starting rotation for Wade Miley and two rentals and having won nothing. I hope to be wrong, but especially after seeing Buck still making the same mistakes he made 20 years ago with the same results, he is too stubborn to change now and PA never knew anything about baseball.

I'll settle for good because if I demand great I won't get any joy out of good.

An organization's front office should not be satisfied with "good", though. That is not a formula for creating a winning franchise and if that's not the goal, it just not enough especially with another dark age a stone's throw away. I understand where you're coming from, but the Orioles will never be great again if everyone, including the front office, is willing to lower expectations that much and settle for it. It gets a little easier to be comfortable with that every year it is allowed to go on.

An organization's front office should not be satisfied with "good", though. That is not a formula for creating a winning franchise and if that's not the goal, it just not enough especially with another dark age a stone's throw away. I understand where you're coming from, but the Orioles will never be great again if everyone, including the front office, is willing to lower expectations that much and settle for it. It gets a little easier to be comfortable with that every year it is allowed to go on.

It should settle for as good as it's market space allows it to be.

Well said. Teams like the Yankees, Red Sox, Cardinals and Giants who aren't satisfied with simply making the postseason and losing are that much more motivated to get better and win it next season. The Orioles have no such discernible interest in anything other than being competitive in the regular season, making the playoffs and losing and that has become the new losing culture in Baltimore. Showalter isn't even a top five manager in baseball and embodies the "good, but not great" thing you pointed out. The Orioles (and many of it's fans apparently) are perfectly content being good but not great because oh we lost for 14 years, so now anything better than that is the new World Series. I detest that mentality because it is still a losing mentality and an accepted one. I think more than "slight tweaks" are necessary and I am not content being in favor of sticking with a team that I don't believe can win or even compete for said World Championship. Staying the course is a waste of time. I would rather rebuild with a huge head start with that realization in mind and being more than enough to forgo it instead of starting from scratch with next to nothing after DD having mortgaged the future and dealt away 3/5ths of a starting rotation for Wade Miley and two rentals and having won nothing. I hope to be wrong, but especially after seeing Buck still making the same mistakes he made 20 years ago with the same results, he is too stubborn to change now and PA never knew anything about baseball.

Yankees are not in the post season. The Red Sox are soon out as well. http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/155107-Boston-about-to-go-0-2-in-the-ALDS

I disagree.

I think having a goal of winning more games than you lose and to be in contention late in the year is perfectly fine for most franchises.

There are no great teams in baseball these days. The Royals just went to straight World Series and they were barely good.

Archived