Disheartening quote from Duquette in this article

miggyfan

It's irrelevant. The Orioles do not own MASN. The ownership group of the two teams own MASN. If the Orioles owned MASN than MASN profits would be subject to profit sharing.

I own a Buick. And I own a Chevrolet. I can sell one without the other. Heck, I can sell the Chevy and put the engine to it in the Buick trunk.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can easily imagine it. MLB already tried to get Angelos to sell MASN.

I can't imagine Angelos leaving the Orioles without protecting MASN. John is also a lawyer and manages MASN's day-to-day operations as far as I know. Between the two of them, it's hard to see MASN going anywhere. I don't know how much John was involved in the court cases, though.

You are way out there. And wrong. That's not the way this works. The Orioles can be sold and the Owners of the Orioles still own the rights to the Orioles and Nationals broadcasts at a very favorable level. The Owners of the Nationals would still own a very minority stake in that business.

All I am saying is by law, corporations are people and the Orioles are a corporation.

What is a 'Corporation'

A corporation is a legal entity that is separate and distinct from its owners. Corporations enjoy most of the rights and responsibilities that an individual possesses; that is, a corporation has the right to enter into contracts, loan and borrow money, sue and be sued, hire employees, own assets and pay taxes. It is often referred to as a "legal person."

I can't imagine Angelos leaving the Orioles without protecting MASN. John is also a lawyer and manages MASN's day-to-day operations as far as I know. Between the two of them, it's hard to see MASN going anywhere. I don't know how much John was involved in the court cases, though.

I think it is a lot easier to sell them separately. More larger pool of potentials.

All I am saying is by law, corporations are people and the Orioles are a corporation.

Without getting into the political ramifications, your point means nothing in this discussion. Nor are we going to continue to debate that issue on this board.

Without getting into the political ramifications, your point means nothing in this discussion. Nor are we going to continue to debate that issue on this board.

There's really nothing to debate on corporations. That is 100% fact and can be easily verified and was relevant to the discussion, but I will respect your wishes.

Oh yes. You'd double the money that way. Especially with the losing nationals rights in tow. For perpetuity.

How much payroll are the Orioles without MASN able to support? And still give an adequate ROI?

Angelos has mostly been willing to spend, at least to a reasonable degree.

weams said:

Oh yes. You'd double the money that way. Especially with the losing nationals rights in tow.  For perpetuity.

o

The NBA Finally Puts an End to the Greatest Sports Deal Of All-Time

(By Monte Burke)

http://www.forbes.com/sites/monteburke/2014/01/07/the-nba-finally-puts-an-end-to-the-greatest-sports-deal-of-all-time/#79f8f008acd8

0518_dan-ozzie-silna_390-300x194.jpg

o

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Duquette on free agent spending "I don't see us spending same money as last year, don't have as many needs"</p>— MLB Network Radio (@MLBNetworkRadio) <a href="

">October 9, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">DD " will be tough to sign one of our free agents before they file" for free agency</p>— Jim Duquette (@Jim_Duquette) <a href="

">October 9, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

OP, you are not likely going to change the principle construction of this team (OBP-less power, good defense, below average starting rotation, good bullpen) without a rebuild. All I took from this is basically Duquette confirming that we have not hit the period of time yet where we'll be selling off and rebuilding.

Archived