The Three Players Who Obviously Could Help

Frobby

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why do people on here get so obsessed with small sample sizes?

I agree totally. For example, which set of stats are we supposed to believe regarding Knott, 2007 or 2006? The guy had a .925 OPS last year 32 doubles, 6 triples and 32 HR.

Even batting .176, he is still drawing walks. If he could deliver his .320 OBP in the big leagues, he would have about the same OBP as Mora, and a better one than 7 Orioles on the current roster.

Really no reason to keep him at Norfolk. He would be able to do at least as well as Gibbons.

You know it and I know this DL'ing active players just to get them off of the 25-man roster won't fly. As a doctor has to certify that a player is disabled and even if they could get one to do it, the MLBPA would be all over it, if the player balks at it.

Of course this is true ... you have to talk to the players before doing it and ask them to go the minors to get some work in. They are hurting the team and if they are team players they will do it.

Even through the number of earned runs he allows is, in addition to his own contributions, impacted by the defense behind him, the park he plays in, and the pitchers who have followed him?

The idea is to try to isolate what the pitcher can control, and attempt to quantify his ability in those areas.

Strikeouts are but a part of the picture. As Jenius said, you want to look at his peripheral statistics. Walks, HBPs as well the ability to induce ground balls (and thus prevent home runs) are all part of this mix.

Hoey's pitched 4.2 innings away from Norfolk in AAA and only 7 innings overall in AAA. Erik Bedard had a 5.84 ERA on June 6 of last year after 70 innings, and had a 5.60 ERA after 40 innings this year.

What does Bedard have to do with Hoey. Bedard has a track record. Hoey has not established himself in the majors. If Bedard did that at AAA before he had been in the majors he probably would not have been promoted.

I agree that Hoey sample at AAA is small but it is bad. He should stay there to get a large sample which hopefully will improve.

I agree totally. For example, which set of stats are we supposed to believe regarding Knott, 2007 or 2006? The guy had a .925 OPS last year 32 doubles, 6 triples and 32 HR.

Even batting .176, he is still drawing walks. If he could deliver his .320 OBP in the big leagues, he would have about the same OBP as Mora, and a better one than 7 Orioles on the current roster.

Really no reason to keep him at Norfolk. He would be able to do at least as well as Gibbons.

Knott had not hit before the last 5 games. He probably would not have hit in the major during that period either. When a player is not hitting, raising him a level is unlikely to help him hit.

Of course this is true ... you have to talk to the players before doing it and ask them to go the minors to get some work in. They are hurting the team and if they are team players they will do it.

Unfortunately, assuming the concept of what's best for the team would take precedence over the what's best for me ego of a millionaire professional athlete would be a HUGE assumption....;)

If Hoey stays at AAA his sample will get bigger.

Ok, but it won't take much of an effot to skew the numbers in either direction with that much of a small sample size.

I don't even understand what is so terrible about his numbers? You haven't even seen him pitch at Norfolk, sometimes raw numbers aren't the best way to evaluate a pitcher over a small amount of time.

I mean look at Guthrie the other night, he let a run up against the Gnats. Shouldn't even have been an earned run, IMO. Gibbons misplayed the ball in Left, but wasn't charged for an error. Later on in the inning, he had a strike 3 that should have been called to end the inning and the next pitch gave up the hit that allowed the run.

In the boxscore, he let up a run, but it wasn't because he didn't pitch well that inning...

Knott had not hit before the last 5 games. He probably would not have hit in the major during that period either. When a player is not hitting, raising him a level is unlikely to help him hit.

Who knows? He wasn't tearing the cover off the ball when he was called up the first time but somehow managed a 2.300 OPS this year for the O's... :P

I agree. What kind of stats do you think it would take to get him a promotion, and in what timeframe?

You know it and I know this DL'ing active players just to get them off of the 25-man roster won't fly. As a doctor has to certify that a player is disabled and even if they could get one to do it, the MLBPA would be all over it, if the player balks at it.

Well how did they get a doctor to sign off on DLing Baez?;)

Well, Hoey and Doyne are reportedly up. I'll root for both of them. I hope Hoey is ready. Doyne is as ready as he will ever be.

No House though. Duke say he is not hot enough. How hot does House have to be to take playing time from Patterson and Gibbons?

I still say the Sam does not have the guts to move the position player around to fit House in.

Archived