Dan Duquette: "...we've increased our payroll every single year that I've been here..."

AZRon

According to The Baseball Cube the 1993 Orioles payroll was $26M. That's the year Angelos bought the team. By the same source it reached $70M by 1998, almost tripling in five years. But then over the next 14 years the payroll never topped $81M (small discrepancy with the other sources here), actually declining in inflation-adjusted terms. Now in the last five years payroll has nearly doubled. It's a strange timeline, with many years of stagnation bookended by almost hyperinflationary periods.

It's an interesting difference between the two book-ends, too. The first was largely a product of adding free agents, while much of the 2nd was a product of arbitration and long-term contracts for a core of players that the O's either developed or acquired pre-arb.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know what I have seen so far.

I know they are not likely to grow a whole rotation.

I know they are not going to be fishing in deep waters for the big fish.

Would you be at all surprised to see Dan go down that road again?

My comment was an attempt to add some levity to the proceedings but at the same time, yes I expect it to happen if Dan thinks the 2018 can be competitive.

This is what I see in 2018.

Tilly,

Bundy

Gausman

Harvey

Maybe the 5th arm, comes from a variety of arms, already with the team?

So they don't have to grow a whole rotation. I think the rotation for 2018 is a glass half full.

IMO

This is what I see in 2018.

Tilly,

Bundy

Gausman

Harvey

Maybe the 5th arm, comes from a variety of arms, already with the team?

So they don't have to grow a whole rotation. I think the rotation for 2018 is a glass half full.

IMO

You think the O's extend Tillman?

You think Harvey is going to be ready to be in the rotation in 2018? Harvey had TJ in July, he might not pitch at all next year and he's never pitched beyond A ball. I think Sedlock has a much better chance than Harvey.

You think the O's extend Tillman?

You think Harvey is going to be ready to be in the rotation in 2018? Harvey had TJ in July, he might not pitch at all next year and he's never pitched beyond A ball. I think Sedlock has a much better chance than Harvey.

Agreed. Harvey is not on the 40 man, so there's no reason to think he'll be in the rotation in 2018. Maybe 2019 with a full, healthy season under his belt in the minors in 2018.

Agreed. Harvey is not on the 40 man, so there's no reason to think he'll be in the rotation in 2018. Maybe 2019 with a full, healthy season under his belt in the minors in 2018.

I think he will get promoted by the end of next season.

He had Tommy John surgery on July 26th 2016.

He's never pitched anywhere higher than Delmarva.

I hope they don't try and pitch him out of the MLB bullpen next season.

Will make their treatment of Bundy this year look like coddling in comparison.

Better than the Strasburg arc. I would think would look for some value while it is available.

According to The Baseball Cube the 1993 Orioles payroll was $26M. That's the year Angelos bought the team. By the same source it reached $70M by 1998, almost tripling in five years. But then over the next 14 years the payroll never topped $81M (small discrepancy with the other sources here), actually declining in inflation-adjusted terms. Now in the last five years payroll has nearly doubled. It's a strange timeline, with many years of stagnation bookended by almost hyperinflationary periods.

New owner euphoria and old/elderly/time running out on earth owner desperation?

New owner euphoria and old/elderly/time running out on earth owner desperation?

It might be instructive to see the Orioles' financial books over that whole period. The first part was the OPACY debut period where they were printing money, but that plateaued.

My question has always been why they kept spending on midrange payrolls through the 2000s. They certainly could have still won the same 65-70 games a year with payrolls 1/3rd the size.

Archived