MLBTR's Offseason Outlook: Orioles

wildcard

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Given the near-historic weakness of this year?s free agent pitching market, it?s not out of the question that the O?s could shop Ubaldo Jimenez, Yovani Gallardo or Wade Miley. All three starters are under contract only through 2017, so it?s possible another club could take a one-year (or longer, since Gallardo and Miley are under club options for 2018) flier on any of the pitchers.

Of course, Baltimore wouldn?t be selling high on any of the three since Jimenez, Miley and Gallardo are all coming off rough seasons. Jimenez was briefly removed from the rotation in August but pitched quite well down the stretch once he got his starting job back. Miley?s advanced metrics hint that he pitched better in his 11 starts as an Oriole than his 6.17 ERA would indicate, though he is still waiting on that breakout season. Gallardo?s first year in Baltimore was essentially a disaster, punctuated by two trips to the DL, a 5.42 ERA and just 0.6 fWAR over 118 innings.

IF this is a possibility in such a historically bad pitching market, the Orioles need to prioritize this early to free up the money. None of these guys should really be in the bullpen. It doesn't matter if they get anything back - the salary dump alone will help them fill a roster hole elsewhere.

IF this is a possibility in such a historically bad pitching market, the Orioles need to prioritize this early to free up the money. None of these guys should really be in the bullpen. It doesn't matter if they get anything back - the salary dump alone will help them fill a roster hole elsewhere.

I'm sure they'll try. I just can't imagine they'll find any takers.

I'm sure they'll try. I just can't imagine they'll find any takers.

You never know -- they took Miley off Seattle's hands after all. :o

Follow up story on that:

An Orioles official tells MASNsports.com’s Roch Kubatko that he doesn’t believe any of Wade Miley, Ubaldo Jimenez or Yovani Gallardo is well-suited to handle a bullpen role. Kubatko writes that while it’s something of an overstatement to imply that the O’s have a surplus of rotation arms, the team could consider dealing one of that trio this offseason. Each is a change-of-scenery candidate after struggling greatly this year, and Baltimore only has two open rotation spots behind Chris Tillman, Kevin Gausman and Dylan Bundy.

...and from the Kubatko piece:

No one in the trio is considered an ideal bullpen piece. I asked someone in the organization which of the starters is best suited for a relief role and was told, “None of them.”

The team is going to have to give up one of them or potentially release him. Bundy is starting.

Follow up story on that:

The team is going to have to give up one of them or potentially release him. Bundy is starting.

I'd be on the phone with the Marlins for Ubaldo.

I think Miley, as a lefty, will have the inside edge for the fourth spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If its set aside, who controls it. My guess is the O's. Who invests it. I would think the O's. Who benefits from it under until it is paid out. I would think the O's.

I am sure that the rate of return on investment will be enormous. All things aside money is spent one it is put in escrow.

Follow up story on that:

Which of the orioles starters will have an injury or setback before April 2017? You need six or seven starters. Not five.

Follow up story on that:

Here's what I think will happen:

1) They'll try to move either Ubaldo or Gallardo, but come up empty.

2) "You always need more than 5 starting pitchers" - Buck and DD in February

3) Bundy starts the season in the bullpen to save some innings for later in the year. I can't imagine they push him to 180+ innings next year. He'll be starting by late May/early June, which buys them a little more time to try and find a taker for Ubaldo or Gallardo.

Here's what I think will happen:

1) They'll try to move either Ubaldo or Gallardo, but come up empty.

2) "You always need more than 5 starting pitchers" - Buck and DD in February

3) Bundy starts the season in the bullpen to save some innings for later in the year. I can't imagine they push him to 180+ innings next year. He'll be starting by late May/early June, which buys them a little more time to try and find a taker for Ubaldo or Gallardo.

Did anyone, including Buck and Dan, imagine him pitching 109.2 inning this year?

I think he comes out strong enough in spring training that the pen isn't an option.

Archived