Fanfest ,Saturday, January 28th 2017

Going Underground

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dan & Buck

Dan got applause, Buck got a standing O: "I guess football season's over, whad'ya think?

Dan - Trumbo says Smith is a great teammate.

Asked about Mancini, Buck initially says "it's not like he isn't going to make our club."   Then backs off a little and Dan alludes to it being good to have depth.

Dan says he's looking for depth in the infield - interesting!

Buck talks about the fact that the O's don't need a fifth starter until April 15, and notes that the DL is now only 10 days - "of course we would never abuse the 10-day DL rule," drawing laughs.  

Asked how important is speed, Dan gives a long answer and Buck says "players who don't have any don't think it's very important!"   Then mentions how Hardy has no speed but great anticipation and quick first step gives him more range than faster guys.  

Buck was asked about holding Britton out of the wildcard game, doesn't really answer.

Buck talks about chemistry and says the film he shows during ST is going to have highlights of what Jones, Hardy, Davis and Trumbo had to say about the clubhouse when they signed their extensions.   (Hope Manny is watching!)

Buck says Kim should get a chance to play more.   He's already working out in Sarasota.    He hints we will acquire some more outfielders before ST.

Dan says he thinks Sedlock will move fast and could start at Frederick.  

Dan and Brian Graham

Dan defends strength of our system, Graham says we have the best coaching and instruction of all 30 teams.   He claims no other team can match producing Manny, Schoop, Wieters, Tillman, Gausman, Britton, Bundy and Givens. 

Dan tells story that Andy always liked to ask for guys the other team would resist giving up.    Asked for Tillman and Seattle didn't object.   Andy asked his scout, "what's wrong with the guy?!"

Graham says he made the decision to switch Givens to pitcher - it was very obvious he couldn't hit.   Dan agrees.  

Dan compares Gunkel to Wilson, seems to like Gunkel better.  

Dan says "you guys would have killed me if I signed Bautista."

Dan throws cold water on the idea of signing Wieters if his price is low.

Dan says in draft, tend to prefer college pitchers but HS hitters.   

Both talk up Sisco.    Graham says he has tremendous pitch recognition and strike zone judgment.   Says he was the youngest catcher in all of AA last year.

Graham says Yacobonis switched from relying heavily on his splitter to using a change-up and split change, and that really helped.  

McDowell and Mills

McDowell stresses individuality and fastball command.   Asked about blanket rule against cut fastballs, he says it's case by case.  

Says his philosophy is to throw first pitch strikes and try to get outs within 4 pitches.   

Mills picks out Yacobonis, Grimes, Means and Sedlock as pitchers to watch.  

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Buck

Only kids asking questions.    One kid asked, "What will you do when the Orioles win the World Series?"

Buck: "Start worrying about winning one the next year."

Gotta love the man.  

o

I shouldn't, but I can't resist.

He could have said, "I'll congratulate whomever the Orioles' manager is when that happens."

Starting pitchers

Gausman said he got more confident throwing his split change on 3-2 counts: "I'd rather walk a guy than give up a homer or a hit with runners on base"

Bundy said he plans to bring his cutter to spring training and tinker around with it and see how it feels. 

Tillman lobbies a bit for Wieters (not happening).

A fan asks if there's an opposing player who the fans hate but is actually a good guy.    Hunter asks "how do they know who the fans hate?"   The fan says, "like Bautista."    Tillman chimes in "he's not a good guy."   Fans cheer.   Then Ubaldo says Bautista is fine in the clubhouse so far as he knows.   

The infield depth is an interesting quote.  If he's talking about it for the 25 man roster, I can see only two possible ways.  One is replace Flaherty.  The second is to trade for Granderson, move Kim or Smith, platoon the other with Rickard (or another righty).  The latter is intriguing.

Archived