Fanfest ,Saturday, January 28th 2017

Going Underground

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Dan and Brian Graham

Dan defends strength of our system, Graham says we have the best coaching and instruction of all 30 teams.   He claims no other team can match producing Manny, Schoop, Wieters, Tillman, Gausman, Britton, Bundy and Givens. 

Dan tells story that Andy always liked to ask for guys the other team would resist giving up.    Asked for Tillman and Seattle didn't object.   Andy asked his scout, "what's wrong with the guy?!"

Graham says he made the decision to switch Givens to pitcher - it was very obvious he couldn't hit.   Dan agrees.  

Dan compares Gunkel to Wilson, seems to like Gunkel better.  

Dan says "you guys would have killed me if I signed Bautista."

Dan throws cold water on the idea of signing Wieters if his price is low.

Dan says in draft, tend to prefer college pitchers but HS hitters.   

Both talk up Sisco.    Graham says he has tremendous pitch recognition and strike zone judgment.   Says he was the youngest catcher in all of AA last year.

Graham says Yacobonis switched from relying heavily on his splitter to using a change-up and split change, and that really helped.  

The Orioles system didn't produce Tillman, they traded for him

Just got home from Fanfest. My feet and back hurt a lot, but I had a blast! I got some footage from there, but I'm not sure how good it'll turn out. I do plan on doing atleast a "review" video. It'll be up later, as some of the items I got and will discuss are a surprise for the Missues, who watches the videos when she gets a break at work...

1 hour ago, Number5 said:

He was talking about development - coaching and instruction.  Tillman was not MLB ready when acquired.

He was talking about acquisition. He was referring to the resource that obtained him. Bedard. From Canada. 

55 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

They can't all start off out of options like Bundy.

As you know. That was a rule for high school first round pitchers that thankfully got replaced. Dylan was not the only high schooler if that era to get a MLB deal. 

6 minutes ago, weams said:

As you know. That was a rule for high school first round pitchers that thankfully got replaced. Dylan was not the only high schooler if that era to get a MLB deal. 

Never said otherwise. 

Just that Bundy's lack of options kept the O's from yo-yoing him like they did Tillman and Gausman.

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Never said otherwise. 

Just that Bundy's lack of options kept the O's from yo-yoing him like they did Tillman and Gausman.

He wouldn't have started 2016 in the majors.    Happily, he pitched well enough to deserve to stay up, even if he'd had options.  

Archived