Orioles discussing a qualifying offer to Wieters again this offseason

Tony-OH

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Will be interesting to see what happens with Wieters now. I would have given him the QO, but it wasn't an easy choice IMO.

My guess is that the O's plan to offer him a deal if his market and the competition don't exceed their comfort zone; and they felt that a $17.2M 1-year guaranty would elicit other offers beyond their reach -- I think they unnecessarily forfeited a a draft pick -- we'll see.

Saunders was terrible the 2nd half of last year so it will be intersting to see what he gets. Maybe a Colby Rasmus type deal to try and rebound like he got in Houston the year before. I don't see a long term deal.

Let's have him here. I would hate to get Rasmus. Talk about fitting in to our offense to well.

I've been on record on here not being as high on Sisco as others...

With that being said, something happened this year that, to my knowledge, never happened before.

All Orioles farm systems that played a full season had a catcher in their All Star Games.

Alex Murphy

Yermin Mercedes (ok, more of a DH)

Jonah Heim (enjoy those South Carolina beaches)

Chance Sisco (the Second Coming, according to people)

Audrey Perez (who was rewarded by being bumped off the 40 man roster)

On top of that, you have:

Wynston Sawyer - Bat first catcher, 2010 draft pick, minor league free agent right now

Austin Wynns - Glove first catcher and best defender in the system, currently in the AFL and Rule 5 eligible

Chris O'Brien - Former MLB'er for the Dodgers, was mentoring Sisco (hopefully)

Francisco Pena - Didn't make the All Star team, but did get called up while Joseph was hurt, then had his name on the expanded roster, but probably took an early vacation

Then, you also have Aberdeen and lower, where you never really know how players will turn out.

There are plenty of options here.

You can go outside the system and get someone to platoon with Joseph and let Sisco stay in Triple A for a bit to work on defense (or bring up either Perez or Pena, so you have less of a clog there.)

You can trade Perez or Pena, along with someone else (Reimold? Flaherty? Janish?) for someones catcher, to eat up some innings until Sisco comes up.

Bring in a few non roster invitees to Spring Training (Perez, Wynns, Sawyer/O'Brien) while having Joseph, Pena, and Sisco on the 40 and see what they can do in Spring Training. If Sisco hits like Joseph did against MLB pitchers, Triple A. If he treats them like the Futures Game, keep him up and let him be a late inning PH/Sunday starter. Also, Perez, Wynns, or one of the others may take full advantage and wind up channeling their inner Rick Dempsey.

All hope is not lost. While getting a pick for Weiters would have been nice, there is no guarantee Baltimore would have done anything useful with it.

I'm amazed at how many people think Wieters at 1/17 would have been a good idea.

While it's possible that he would have rejected it, we all thought the same thing last year.

He's a .700 OPS bat on the wrong side of 30 with declining defense. I wouldn't mind bringing him back on a 2/25 type deal, but he probably gets more on the open market.

I'm amazed at how many people think Wieters at 1/17 would have been a good idea.

While it's possible that he would have rejected it, we all thought the same thing last year.

He's a .700 OPS bat on the wrong side of 30 with declining defense. I wouldn't mind bringing him back on a 2/25 type deal, but he probably gets more on the open market.

You think 2x 1/12.5 is fine but 1/17 is ridiculous? And offer more years while citing his age as an issue? The distance between your solution and "I'm amazed" is $4.5M.

You think 2x 1/12.5 is fine but 1/17 is ridiculous? And offer more years while citing his age as an issue? The distance between your solution and "I'm amazed" is $4.5M.

It's the difference between market and overpayment.

I'm not in favor of bringing back Matt at all, but I could stomach 2/25. He won't sign for a one year deal which is all I'm really interested in. Our no. 1 prospect is a near-major league ready catcher and we have too many other holes on the roster to fill. I rather spend money on the OF.

4.5 million gets you a Steve Pearce. Maybe a Matt Joyce or Michael Bourn if they decide to bring him back. It's not insignificant.

Thinking about it was probably the right move. To everyone wanting us to lock up Schoop, Machado, etc. we're going to need to cut some cap. Continuing to pay Wieters 16-17M every offseason with the QO is just taking away the $$$ we can use to get them.

I love Wieters, and I'd like him back on a reasonable deal. I would have offered him the QO but I feel like he'd just end up taking it and screwing us over in the end.

Thinking about it was probably the right move. To everyone wanting us to lock up Schoop, Machado, etc. we're going to need to cut some cap.

By why lock up these guys if you don't have a young, cost controlled team around them? There's no point in cutting salary so you can lock up Schoop and Machado and company, only to end up having those 2 or 3 players take up so much of your salary that meaningful FA signings become impossible going forward. UNLESS you can build a team with cost controlled, high end talent around them. Then it makes sense. Otherwise you end up like the Angels. They have Trout on a relatively decent deal, but no cost controlled talent around him, and no money left to bring in talent. The way you avoid that is by stockpiling draft picks. Offering Wieters the QO goes towards that future.

Archived