OK, Explain to me how this works

wildcard

The O's payroll for next is roughly equal to last years ending payroll without signing any FAs when arbitration increases and Miley contract are included. So now there is talk of keeping Trumbo at DH and adding a right fielder like Reddick. That easily adds 25M to the payroll annually.

Does anyone think they will really do that?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The O's payroll for next is roughly equal to last years ending payroll without signing any FAs when arbitration increases and Miley contract are included. So now there is talk of keeping Trumbo at DH and adding a right fielder like Reddick. That easily adds 25M to the payroll annually.

Trade Manny or Britton? I dunno.

No, I don't.

I actually think the talk of resigning Trumbo is more lip service than anything else. When he turns down the QO I think we make him a modest offer out of respect, but we will let him walk elsewhere.

I don't expect big moves this offseason in terms of acquiring new players, which I can live with if we make a really good run at extended some of our guys, especially Manny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I actually think the talk of resigning Trumbo is more lip service than anything else. When he turns down the QO I think we make him a modest offer out of respect, but we will let him walk elsewhere.

I don't expect big moves this offseason in terms of acquiring new players, which I can live with if we make a really good run at extended some of our guys, especially Manny.

I'm guessing Dan doesn't return his agent's calls.

I don't, but who really knows? I didn't expect them to go on the spending spree that they did last year.

It's very, very unlikely that Trumbo will accept the QO. Nonetheless the chance is greater than zero which tells me that there is at least $17.2 million available above what's currently committed. Not enough for Trumbo and Reddick, but enough for Reddick and a few other odds and ends.

It's very, very unlikely that Trumbo will accept the QO. Nonetheless the chance is greater than zero which tells me that there is at least $17.2 million available above what's currently committed. Not enough for Trumbo and Reddick, but enough for Reddick and a few other odds and ends.

I agree that he'll probably turn down the QO, but as I've said before, I think it could end up being a long wait for him this offseason if he does. I don't think there are many teams that will want to give up a draft pick for a guy coming off a career year where he only posted a .316 OBP, especially when he can't play defense.

I am on record as predicting an increase (perhaps as much as 15% to 20%) over last year; that is, an opening day payroll of between $170M and $180M.

[thread=155154]2017 Projected 2017 Opening Day Payroll[/thread]

I agree that he'll probably turn down the QO, but as I've said before, I think it could end up being a long wait for him this offseason if he does. I don't think there are many teams that will want to give up a draft pick for a guy coming off a career year where he only posted a .316 OBP, especially when he can't play defense.

Trumbo is a good 1B. I can see him with CLE and HOU.

Does this budget include the $33 million they're saving from trumbos, wieters and Pedro's contracts?

That is not a savings with the Arbitration Increases for:

[TABLE]

<colgroup><col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:3949;width:81pt" width="108"> </colgroup><tbody>[TR]

[TD=class: xl63, width: 108]Brad Brach

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: xl63]Zach Britton[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: xl63]Ryan Flaherty[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: xl63]Kevin Gausman[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: xl63]Caleb Joseph[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: xl63]Manny Machado[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: xl63]T.J. McFarland[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: xl63]Jonathan Schoop[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: xl63]Chris Tillman[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: xl63]Vance Worley

[/TD]

[/TR]

</tbody>[/TABLE]

That is not a savings with the Arbitration Increases for:

[TABLE]

<colgroup><col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:3949;width:81pt" width="108"> </colgroup><tbody>[TR]

[TD=class: xl63, width: 108]Brad Brach

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: xl63]Zach Britton[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: xl63]Ryan Flaherty[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: xl63]Kevin Gausman[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: xl63]Caleb Joseph[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: xl63]Manny Machado[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: xl63]T.J. McFarland[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: xl63]Jonathan Schoop[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: xl63]Chris Tillman[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: xl63]Vance Worley

[/TD]

[/TR]

</tbody>[/TABLE]

Correct. The answer on how to add without drastically increasing payroll is trading Manny or Britton. The high value contract pitchers are not movable without absorption.

Archived