Platoon Options for RF

ChuckS

I included their career OPS's on their strong side:

Rasmus (.775)/R. Davis (.780)

Rasmus (.775)/Pearce (.852)

Rasmus (.775)/D. Jennings (.778)

Jay (.746)/(Davis, Pearce, or Jennings)

Duquette has said he wants to improve the defense and athleticism and unfortunately there are not a lot of great options out there unless we are going to pay for a Cespedes or Fowler. Fowler gets 5/75 IMO given the Reddick deal and Cespedes is going to get a massive contract. The defense from the RH side of the platoon is not as important since they will be limited to maybe 40 games or so in the OF, which is why I included Pearce as a possibility.

I really like Matt Joyce, but don't want to see him in the OF for 120 games. Still think he's a good sign as a guy who might DH for us for 60 games and play 30 or so in the OF.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nicks defense was declining before he left. He is expensive

If we could get Nick back without trading a significant prospect, I'd do it. I think he'll earn his remaining 2/$22 mm, and his skill set fits our team's needs well. But it's not worth trading a guy who is likely to have a decent major league career to get him back.

If we could get Nick back without trading a significant prospect, I'd do it. I think he'll earn his remaining 2/$22 mm, and his skill set fits our team's needs well. But it's not worth trading a guy who is likely to have a decent major league career to get him back.

Exactly. Definitely no top 10 prospect. Might consider a second tier type if they would also eat Gallardo/Ubaldo.

Josh Reddick has been about twice as valuable as Markakis over the last 4 seasons.

Not really, and even so that is only because he had the advantage of platooning.

Nicks defense was declining before he left. He is expensive

He had a positive dWAR last year. Strong arm plays perfectly in OPACY RF.

I included their career OPS's on their strong side:

Rasmus (.775)/R. Davis (.780)

Rasmus (.775)/Pearce (.852)

Rasmus (.775)/D. Jennings (.778)

Jay (.746)/(Davis, Pearce, or Jennings)

Duquette has said he wants to improve the defense and athleticism and unfortunately there are not a lot of great options out there unless we are going to pay for a Cespedes or Fowler. Fowler gets 5/75 IMO given the Reddick deal and Cespedes is going to get a massive contract. The defense from the RH side of the platoon is not as important since they will be limited to maybe 40 games or so in the OF, which is why I included Pearce as a possibility.

I really like Matt Joyce, but don't want to see him in the OF for 120 games. Still think he's a good sign as a guy who might DH for us for 60 games and play 30 or so in the OF.

Dan Duquette indicated it would be left field rather than right that might invite a platoon.

I think Nick has been bad defensively just because of the change to playing in Turner Field vs Camden Yards.

Nick's defensive metrics were good in 2016: +28 Rtot, +10 Rdrs, +1.3 UZR, +0.3 dWAR. I think his problems in 2015 were more related to his offseason surgery and the fact that he hadn't been able to work out all winter. It showed up in his range stats and especially in his throwing. Last year he was back to normal after a more normal offseason.

Could kick the tires on trading to get Markakis back. About the same production as Reddick for fewer years and cheaper.

Disagree. Markakis is a .700ish OPS bat and Reddick is more likely around .800, especially if he is sitting against lefties as he should. Reddick is also the superior defender at this point.

Archived