Roch misses the point on O's relievers

wildcard

Dodgers or Nationals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nah. They could give up a haul if Britton pitches anything close to like he did last year.

Then again, it might be in the Orioles' interest to trade him now after a career season. I just think there's more value at the deadline if the player is performing.

Roch is writing what he is hearing. That's what he is supposed to do, isn't it? You may disagree with the message DD is putting out there, but I don't see how that is on Roch. It could also be misdirection on the part of DD, as well.

I couldn't say what Roch is hearing. What I am hearing from Dan is that he does not want to trade Britton. That doesn't mean he will not trade Givens for a right fielder. Especially if Dan can get a replacement for Givens off the FA market that is acceptable to him like maybe Tommy Hunter. Hunter may not be as good as Givens but when he has Britton, O'Day and Brach he may trade Givens to fill the major hole he has in the outfield. JMG.

If you play a platoon of Joyce and Rickard in RF why isn't that an upgrade? Good OBP splits and plus defense.

What makes you think the Joyce is a plus defender in RF? What I see is that his range is not that good in RF and at his age it is not likely to get better. He has good OBP in two of the last three years but neither his speed nor power makes him a good fit. Being a platoon guy means that the O's are likely platooning in right and left field which is cumbersome.

I hope the O's look for a young, plus defender in RF that can also play CF. With Jones' age the O's may be better off to move Jones to right at some point in the not too distance future. That becomes easier to do if Jones sees that it benefits the team. Jones playing next to a speedy right fielder may accomplish that in time.

If Dan can't acquire the kind of player I am asking for then Joyce could be an ok one year stop gap. Far from ideal but what the market is offering for limited money at the moment.

I think people should keep some things in mind. Dan has been pretty clear that he isn't trading Britton. And I it is also pretty clear that the team is not thinking beyond 2018. So a lot of these speculations are moot.

I agree strongly with this. The Orioles give zero indication that they are thinking beyond the next few years. Angelos turns 87 this season and DD and Buck's contracts run through 2018. 2018 will likely be Manny's last year as an Oriole. I think the path is set for the next several years.

And RZNJ laid out the path:

I see him making his typical minor moves of:

1. A rule 5 selection

2. AAAA signings

3. Scouring the FA list for 4th outfielder and platoon types.

4. See who, in the FA market, is left standing in February.

I don't think he touches the pitching staff at all. Maybe the Rule 5 guy is a reliever (LH probably) or an outfielder.

What makes you think the Joyce is a plus defender in RF? What I see is that his range is not that good in RF and at his age it is not likely to get better. He has good OBP in two of the last three years but neither his speed nor power makes him a good fit. Being a platoon guy means that the O's are likely platooning in right and left field which is cumbersome.

I hope the O's look for a young, plus defender in RF that can also play CF. With Jones' age the O's may be better off to move Jones to right at some point in the not too distance future. That becomes easier to do if Jones sees that it benefits the team. Jones playing next to a speedy right fielder may accomplish that in time.

If Dan can't acquire the kind of player I am asking for then Joyce could be an ok one year stop gap. Far from ideal but what the market is offering for limited money at the moment.

He had an UZR/150 of 3 last year, anyway he's plus in comparison to what we had last year. What great young RF do you think you are getting for Givens? Is he going to be so much better that he will be worth weakening the bull pen?

He had an UZR/150 of 3 last year, anyway he's plus in comparison to what we had last year. What great young RF do you think you are getting for Givens? Is he going to be so much better that he will be worth weakening the bull pen?

Givens to the Phillies for leadoff hitter, base stealer 23 year old Roman Quinn. Then sign Tommy Hunter to replace Givens. Britton, O'Day, Brach, Hart, Hunter, Wright/Wison and a start in the pen will help the O's back to a playoffs.

In 2018 Quinn takes over CF and Jones moves to right field.

Givens to the Phillies for leadoff hitter, base stealer 23 year old Roman Quinn. Then sign Tommy Hunter to replace Givens. Britton, O'Day, Brach, Hart, Hunter, Wright/Wison and a start in the pen will help the O's back to a playoffs.

In 2018 Quinn takes over CF and Jones moves to right field.

Why would the Phillies trade Quinn for Givens?

Why would the Phillies trade Quinn for Givens?

The Phillies have glut of young outfielders and just acquired Howie Kendrick to play left field. Herrera is a GG caliber CF. Cozens hit 40 homers at AA, is a right fielder and is their minor league player of the year. Additionally they have Top 100 prospect Nick Williams, Goeddel, Alherr and Quinn. Quinn has history of injuries which lessens his trade value. The Phillies have 8 outfielders on their 40 man roster. They are likely to trade an outfielder or two.

http://m.phillies.mlb.com/roster

One of the stated priorities of the Phillies this off season is to improve their pen. Givens in young, cheap and proven. He has a lot of value on the trade market.

The free-agent market opens Tuesday at midnight ET. The Phils will be searching for a corner outfielder or two and bullpen help. They are not expected to pursue the biggest names on the market. Instead, they could sign players to short-term deals in an effort to give the young players already in their system another year to play and develop.

http://m.phillies.mlb.com/news/article/208143324/matt-klentak-phillies-preparing-for-offseason/

With LFer Kendrick acquired the Phillies focus is on the pen. The Phillies roster is at 40 and they have already purged dead wood and added from the farm. They need to trade some one to add to the pen. Their is no room otherwise.

Andy MacPhail and Matt Klentak drafted Michael Givens in 2009 when they were with the O's.

Archived