Go,Tony, Go

wildcard

It would appear that Tony does not believe that the O's farm system is in shambles.  In his first six picks he thinks the O's have the potential to have:

A #1 starter in Hunter Harvey

Two #2s starters in Sedlock and Akin

An All-Star catcher in Sisco

An All-Star right fielder in Hays

A #3 starter in Wells

And he has not even gotten to Mancini and Mountcastle.

Pretty heady stuff.

If that doesn't get your motor running then just listen to what Adam Pohl has to say about Mancini on his Bowie Podcast:

http://www.baltimorebaseball.com/2016/11/24/minor-league-podcast-pohl-talks-bowie-pitching-mills-strengths/

Pohl agrees with Dan Duquette.   Mancini can really. really hit.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

It would appear that Tony does not believe that the O's farm system is in shambles.  In his first six picks he thinks the O's have the potential to have:

A #3 starter in Wells

Pretty heady stuff.

If that doesn't get your motor running then just listen to what Adam Pohl has to say about Mancini on his Bowie Podcast:

http://www.baltimorebaseball.com/2016/11/24/minor-league-podcast-pohl-talks-bowie-pitching-mills-strengths/

Sisco's defense is ok at best, and the starters could be there in the future barring any setbacks. Mancini can hit, saw him do it Norfolk, where no one hits. 

The good news: a fair amount of upside in the top six.

The bad news: only Sisco is remotely close to the majors.    Otherwise, it's four guys who haven't played full season ball and one guy who hasn't played above low A and will miss most of 2017 with an injury.  

I'd say Mancini is pretty much cooked and ready for the mlb.  Sisco is probably the most accomplished hitter to come through our system since MW, Manny and Markakis.  

If you guys really want to see Tony get crazy, wait till he gets to Gray Fenter.  That guy would've been a stud this year if he didn't have TJ.  

4 hours ago, wildcard said:

A #3 starter in Wells

Pretty heady stuff.

Well, i think you are looking at absolute ceilings. the chances of all of these guys hitting their ceilings are slim. The system is not really that strong, but they do have a few nice looking players. There are no sure fire blue chippers among them and that's an issue.

That is one thing I don't really care about for when it comes to prospecting.

You could think someone is a "sure fire" guy and they don't make it, due to injury, they suck, or whatever.

Then you can have those guys that may not be viewed as "worth anything," that can come through and light up the majors if given the chance. Or even be a good backup.

Then there is also the "well, he was a high draft pick...Keep giving him chances!"

9 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

That is one thing I don't really care about for when it comes to prospecting.

You could think someone is a "sure fire" guy and they don't make it, due to injury, they suck, or whatever.

Then you can have those guys that may not be viewed as "worth anything," that can come through and light up the majors if given the chance. Or even be a good backup.

Then there is also the "well, he was a high draft pick...Keep giving him chances!"

Well I guess that depends on who and how they evaluate "sure fire" guys. Since 1996, the only sure fire guys I saw in the Minors were Machado, Schoop, Gausman, Tillman, Arrieta, and Matusz. Now you can argue that Matusz never lived up to his "sure fire" status, but he did end up with a decent major league career as a reliever and I don't know if the book if done on him despite last year. Now there were other guys I really liked like Britton, Reimold once upon a a time, and even some major busts like Luis Jimenez, Billy Rowell (though I got off the train quickly) and Radhames Liz, but they still weren't "sure fire" guys. 

I think certain stat categories are very important and guys who struggle in those categories, especially in the low minors, tend to be either busts or just not nearly as good as the amateur scouts thought. As for pitchers, it's usually about command and as one former GM once told me, K to walk ratio needs to be at least 3:1 and they need to miss some bats. 

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Well I guess that depends on who and how they evaluate "sure fire" guys. Since 1996, the only sure fire guys I saw in the Minors were Machado, Schoop, Gausman, Tillman, Arrieta, and Matusz. Now you can argue that Matusz never lived up to his "sure fire" status, but he did end up with a decent major league career as a reliever and I don't know if the book if done on him despite last year. Now there were other guys I really liked like Britton, Reimold once upon a a time, and even some major busts like Luis Jimenez, Billy Rowell (though I got off the train quickly) and Radhames Liz, but they still weren't "sure fire" guys. 

I think certain stat categories are very important and guys who struggle in those categories, especially in the low minors, tend to be either busts or just not nearly as good as the amateur scouts thought. As for pitchers, it's usually about command and as one former GM once told me, K to walk ratio needs to be at least 3:1 and they need to miss some bats. 

Good insight.  Most of those "sure fire" guys came from being really high draft picks or from trades where we were selling off a really good player.  Winning is great but it also means low 1st rd draft picks and losing draft picks from signing FA's.  It's a shame we don't participate in the intl market more.  We actually hit pretty big on Schoop and EdRod 2.0.  

I was looking back at names that I thought we're going to be good.  I cannot believe that we were so bad off that we promoted guys like Penn, Cabrera, Matos, Fiorentino that had minimal success above A ball.  We think the system is bad now.  Those really were the dark times.  

Archived