Update: O's sign Trumbo to 3yr/$37 mil deal

Dark Helmet

• Replies 868
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, oriolediehard said:

Is it possible Chris Davis can agree to play right field and Trey Mancini and Trumbo can alternate first base and DH?

Since Davis agent was selling him on his ability to play the outfield he should be more than happy to play right field.

So, are we pretty set on these as the lineups?

vs RHP

RF Smith

CF Jones

3B Machaco

DH Trumbo

1B Davis

2B Schoop

C Castillo

LF Kim

SS Hardy

Bench Joseph, Flaherty, Rickard, Mancini

vs. LHP

LF Rickard

CF Jones

3B Machado

DH Trumbo

2B Schoop

1B Davis

C Castillo

DH Mancini

SS Hardy

Bench Joseph, Flaherty, Smith, Kim

I'd still like to see another defensive-minded OF signed and Mancini traded or sent to AAA as the first callup when somebody gets injured.

1 hour ago, pastorfan said:

Let Trumbo play RF and sign Carter. Then we can really see if power can get you to a championship.

For whatever it is worth, that is exactly what meteorologist/BP founder/Orioles fan Clay Davenport has forecasted in his initial 2017 projections.

http://www.claydavenport.com/projections/BAL.shtml

Those projections have us, assuming Trumbo + Carter acquisitions, 3rd in the division, but just 2 games out of first place.  He sees Trumbo/Carter as a 4 WAR tandem and is pessimistic on Kim/Mancini, forecasting them as replacement level.

Is it possible Dan's talking point about improving OF defense has been nothing more than an offseason negotiating strategy with the Trumbo's, Carter's and Napoli's of the world.  Could we be a Napoli mystery team now?

7 minutes ago, jcaponio said:

So, are we pretty set on these as the lineups?

vs RHP

RF Smith

CF Jones

3B Machaco

DH Trumbo

1B Davis

2B Schoop

C Castillo

LF Kim

SS Hardy

Bench Joseph, Flaherty, Rickard, Mancini

vs. LHP

LF Rickard

CF Jones

3B Machado

DH Trumbo

2B Schoop

1B Davis

C Castillo

DH Mancini

SS Hardy

Bench Joseph, Flaherty, Smith, Kim

I'd still like to see another defensive-minded OF signed and Mancini traded or sent to AAA as the first callup when somebody gets injured.

Your lineup against LHP has two DHs by mistake.  I assume you mean Trumbo to right against LHP.  But I do not see them keeping Mancini and using his service time as a limited DH only against left-handers and with no field contribution whatsoever.  Plus I think it would be a waste of his talent.  I can't see any outcome except a trade and I think that is something the Orioles are likely to regret for years to come.   They probably will keep him at Norfolk as an injury protection and continue to look at trade options.   But I think Trumbo is going to get many many more DH at bats this year than in 2016 against both right and left handers and that another outfielder will play right (and that outfielder may well not yet be on the team). 

It's mindboggling to me the statistic I am about to cite, but the way I distinguish among Trumbo, Alvarez and Carter is.

Career Batting Average

Trumbo .251

Alvarez .238

Carter .218

It's the difference between a 45, 40 and a 30 hit tool.  I get that Carter's superior walk rate makes OBP a push, but feel that he's skirting far closer to a cliff of MLB unplayability.  If you told me one of these two players will be out of MLB in a few years, I'm about 90% certain it is going to be Carter.  I am about 99% certain Chris Carter is not going to be getting guaranteed 2019 money from anyone this offseason.

18 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Your lineup against LHP has two DHs by mistake.  I assume you mean Trumbo to right against LHP.  But I do not see them keeping Mancini and using his service time as a limited DH only against left-handers and with no field contribution whatsoever.  Plus I think it would be a waste of his talent.  I can't see any outcome except a trade and I think that is something the Orioles are likely to regret for years to come.   They probably will keep him at Norfolk as an injury protection and continue to look at trade options.   But I think Trumbo is going to get many many more DH at bats this year than in 2016 against both right and left handers and that another outfielder will play right (and that outfielder may well not yet be on the team). 

Yes, correct, Trumbo in right against lefties, my mistake. While I like Mancini, where are you going to play him if not as a pinch hitter and full-time DH against lefties? He's very limited defensively, he won't be playing much 1B since we have a Gold Glover there in Davis, and he's never played an inning at any other position in the minors.

Archived