Can Chris Davis Be Fixed At the Plate?

ELMERO

I do think Davis was hurting this past season.  That can be fixed (healed).  And I also tend to agree with many of the previous posters who note that working a count merely by taking strikes isn't necessarily always prudent. Some guys just seem to excel at hitting with two strikes, either because they have great bat speed and control, allowing them to protect the plate better, or just have a preternatural sense of the strike zone.  I don't think Chris has either of those attributes.  So I'd rather he not go to the plate with any preconceived notions about when he's going to swing or when he's not going to swing.  Davis also has a looooooong swing; there's nothing short or compact about it, so timing is everything with him.  If there's an area where he can improve, maybe it's here.  His swing and miss on curveballs seems to be off the charts poor... (can I find this info?), and I sense he's looking for something hard, his timing is off, and he can't change it mid-swing.  This might also be due to a tendency to want to pull the ball.  I'd love to just see him go the other way with a late-swing single (which ought to help a bit with the shift, too).  Ultimately, Davis is a one-dimensional batter, IMHO.  If he could adjust his timing, be satisfied with a 15 extra singles to left field, I think he might be a better all-around hitter...  Also, bunt away from the shift, even if just three times a year!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, Number5 said:

Davis takes the pitch that is up in the zone on the outer half and drives it to left-center, as he should.  That hasn't changed and he still hits that ball with authority.  I'm not so sure that approaching a plate appearance with the specific goal in mind of trying to hit to left field is a good approach for him.

Watching his AB the first pitch is almost always on/just off the outside corner low. He almost always takes it. If in certain situations he would flick that pitch to LF his average would improve, and they'd start pitching him differently. Maybe shifting less.

4 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Chris Davis revealed Saturday that he's been dealing with soreness in the thumb area on his left hand all season.

Davis had a couple days off last week when his hand flared up on him again, but he said it didn't help. "Swinging a bat is painful," Davis said. "I went 0-for-3 [Friday] night. I had two days off before that. I don't think it made a whole lot of difference." Davis has had a relatively disappointing season with a .228/.341/.489 batting line, although he has popped 36 home runs. His hand isn't expected to heal until the offseason but shouldn't be a long-term issue.

Source: Baltimore Sun
Sep 11 - 9:50 AM

If it is long term we've wasted a ton of money

2 hours ago, mdbdotcom said:

A good veterinarian could fix him just about anywhere. At the plate might be a little awkward.

Reading so deep into this post that I started,  I'm thinking, "great, many different takes on the subject."  Then, I come upon your post.  Almost fell off the chair laughing!  You are sharp!  Loved it!

Chris Davis is a strong, powerful man with a bat. He is not a hitter. If he makes contact there is a much better than average it will be hit hard and longer than most. I understand that he had wrist/hand problems last year. It would seem that if he was a "hitter" going to the off field would put less pressure on the hand and give the team some production. He is one dimensional as a hitter and for those who like his OBP, it is because of his power, not because he is a good hitter or selective at the plate. With two outs, the winning or tying run in scoring position, I'd prefer to have any O, other than Caleb Joseph,  at the plate. 

It's tough as an O's fan to be a Chris Davis supporter.  He got a ton of money.  His best seasons in 2013 and 2015 are two years we didn't make the playoffs.  He was suspended for PED's in 2014.  But he's made himself into a GG candidate first basemen.  The scouting reports never had him as that.  Plus he stayed with us and took deferred money.  I think he was just hurt last year.  

As much as I'm still mad about the PED suspension in 2014, I think a healthy Chris Davis will have a big year in 2017.  

17 minutes ago, joeyc said:

If Chris Davis could learn to cut down on his swing and consistently hit the ball to the opposite field, he would bat .500. Teams would also stop shifting on him. Until he does that, he's going to be horrible

Many smart people disagree with your theory.

1 hour ago, joeyc said:

If Chris Davis could learn to cut down on his swing and consistently hit the ball to the opposite field, he would bat .500. Teams would also stop shifting on him. Until he does that, he's going to be horrible

Except that 3.0 rWAR, 2.7 fWAR isn't horrible.  

• 4 months later...
On 12/15/2016 at 2:41 PM, Frobby said:

I don't know of an official list of the most strikeouts looking in one season, but I spent some time looking at the obvious candidates, and Davis' 79 was way above the second-highest I could find, which was 66 by Adam Dunn in 2004.

So far this year, Davis has been caught looking at strike three 11 times in 15 games.    Assuming (as I believe) that he set the major league record in that category last year, he's running at a pace about 50% higher this year.     He's got to get more aggressive up there.   

Archived