And People Doubt Brach's value? (Ziegler Signs with Marlins)

Rene88

Nobody traded any players for Ziegler. They just gave him money. And he had a better second half. Plus, when Ziegler was traded from the Diamondbacks in July the Red Sox only gave up two middling prospects from the low minors, neither of whom projects to become anything special.

2 hours ago, ArtVanDelay said:

Why does this mean Brach is worth a king's ransom? It's not like 2/16 is a huge deal. 

I guess it depends what your definition of a king's ransom is. I would have been happy if we got Mallex Smith for him. 

I'd love to trade for Smith. Put him in center, move Adam to left, and resign Bourn for right. We'd have very little power in the outfield. But it could be among the best in the majors defensively. When our second baseman is hitting 20, and our third baseman could hit 35-40, and our first baseman hits 35 every year, and Hardy should be good for 10-18, and Wellington could swat 14, with Caleb hitting another 10-plus... Also, we could resign Alvarez at DH, for another 20-plus homers. We could still be solid in the power department, while getting much better balance in the lineup and on the base paths.

2 hours ago, Bradysburns said:

I'd love to trade for Smith. Put him in center, move Adam to left, and resign Bourn for right. We'd have very little power in the outfield. But it could be among the best in the majors defensively. When our second baseman is hitting 20, and our third baseman could hit 35-40, and our first baseman hits 35 every year, and Hardy should be good for 10-18, and Wellington could swat 14, with Caleb hitting another 10-plus... Also, we could resign Alvarez at DH, for another 20-plus homers. We could still be solid in the power department, while getting much better balance in the lineup and on the base paths.

Adam is going to be a right fielder (he has one of the best arms in the game) when he moves from center, but I like the idea of trading for a young center fielder.  If we had Smith in center and Jones on one of the corners I think we could afford to have a more offensive minded player in the other corner.  

With that said, I'm not totally sold on Smith.  He had a .706 OPS as a 22 year old in Triple A.  Didn't get many at bats there last year......but .681 in a little over 200 at bats in Atlanta.  If his defense is exceptional he could be worth it but he looks like a below average bat, even for CF. 

4 hours ago, ChuckS said:

Adam is going to be a right fielder (he has one of the best arms in the game) when he moves from center, but I like the idea of trading for a young center fielder.  If we had Smith in center and Jones on one of the corners I think we could afford to have a more offensive minded player in the other corner.  

With that said, I'm not totally sold on Smith.  He had a .706 OPS as a 22 year old in Triple A.  Didn't get many at bats there last year......but .681 in a little over 200 at bats in Atlanta.  If his defense is exceptional he could be worth it but he looks like a below average bat, even for CF. 

Chuck Malle. Smith's age differential is -3.5 last year at AAA. I wouldn't be too worried as he would certainly improve with age. 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I don't think anyone doubts Brach has some trade value.    He's pretty good, cheap and under team control for three seasons.    

Someone just said they were happy with Mallex Smith for him. I think that's a very low return.

I saw from an article from the Score that the O's unofficially put him open to bidders. Where do you think he ends up? Mets? Based on Rizzo's one terrible trade, I would be waiting outside Rizzo's office to trade with the Nats for Brach, they need a closer.

22 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

Someone just said they were happy with Mallex Smith for him. I think that's a very low return.

I saw from an article from the Score that the O's unofficially put him open to bidders. Where do you think he ends up? Mets? Based on Rizzo's one terrible trade, I would be waiting outside Rizzo's office to trade with the Nats for Brach, they need a closer.

Andrew Stevenson +1 maybe?  Or do you shoot for Victor Robles?

2 minutes ago, 25 Nuggets said:

Andrew Stevenson +1 maybe?  Or do you shoot for Victor Robles?

Now we are talking. I honest to god have no idea what Rizzo did on that Eaton trade, total disaster. Even if HE didn't value Giolito all that much, others did, could have gotten much better return. Tells everyone under  HARD salary limitations so Brach fits the bill and pickens are slim, it could happen. I honestly think that.

39 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

Brad only has 2 years of control left. He's good but he's not anything special. 5 years of Mallex Smith is a good deal for the O's. 

We aren't getting Victor Robles for Brad Brach. (Unless Rizzo is dumber than I thought.)

How about this

Trade idea 

Mets

Brad Brach

Orioles 

Jay Bruce (salary dump)

Desmond Lindsay   http://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.cgi?id=lindsa000des

and C type pitching prospect

or to the Rockies

Rockies get Brach

Orioles get 

Tapia http://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.cgi?id=tapia-000rai

And 

LHP Kyle Freeland    http://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.cgi?id=freela000kyl

6 minutes ago, ArtVanDelay said:

Brad only has 2 years of control left. He's good but he's not anything special. 5 years of Mallex Smith is a good deal for the O's. 

We aren't getting Victor Robles for Brad Brach. (Unless Rizzo is dumber than I thought.)

I actually think Brad has been pretty special.  I don't see that Smith really has.  The trade would seem to make sense, based on each team's needs, but I certainly understand DD's asking for the "+".

1 hour ago, Number5 said:

I actually think Brad has been pretty special.  I don't see that Smith really has.  The trade would seem to make sense, based on each team's needs, but I certainly understand DD's asking for the "+".

Zach Britton has been special. Manny Machado has been special. Brad Brach has been good.

Mallex Smith still hasn't proven himself at the big league level (and needs to work on some aspects of his game), but he was an OBP and stolen base machine at every level of the minors. He grades out an 80 on speed (that's Billy Hamilton territory). He was a top 10 prospect in a stacked Braves farm system. I'm the first to tell you that prospects are just prospects and I'll take the proven guy. But in this case, if you can deal a good 7th-inning guy from a position of strength and get that kind of prospect in return -- the sort of prospect the Orioles are sorely lacking with the potential to change the very fabric of the offense for years to come -- then I think you should do it. I don't think any plus is necessary.

The problem, of course, is that the Orioles tend to overvalue their own players with regularity and they're afraid to take chances.

20 minutes ago, Moondoggie said:

Zach Britton has been special. Manny Machado has been special. Brad Brach has been good.

Mallex Smith still hasn't proven himself at the big league level (and needs to work on some aspects of his game), but he was an OBP and stolen base machine at every level of the minors. He grades out an 80 on speed (that's Billy Hamilton territory). He was a top 10 prospect in a stacked Braves farm system. I'm the first to tell you that prospects are just prospects and I'll take the proven guy. But in this case, if you can deal a good 7th-inning guy from a position of strength and get that kind of prospect in return -- the sort of prospect the Orioles are sorely lacking with the potential to change the very fabric of the offense for years to come -- then I think you should do it. I don't think any plus is necessary.

The problem, of course, is that the Orioles tend to overvalue their own players with regularity and they're afraid to take chances.

I'm not sure what you are basing your last statement on, but the facts (Arrieta, Brault, Tarpley, Davies, ERod, etc.) would tend to indicate the opposite to me.

Archived