What's the high level plan for 2017-2018 (or what SHOULD it be?)

esmd

Just now, weams said:

You do realize that you are forfeiting your first round pick. Right? That's why no opt out. 

You get it back a few spots lower if Trumbo signs elsewhere.  Though obviously if you don't sign EE you have the two picks instead of 1.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, esmd said:

You get it back a few spots lower if Trumbo signs elsewhere.  Though obviously if you don't sign EE you have the two picks instead of 1.

No, you let Trumbo walk and don't throw one away and you end up with two first round picks.

That is how you get your 27th best farm system up to 25th best.

I think there is still signings that could be made to fill holes with quality players without draining the farm system again. 

What's about Ben Revere as a lead off/corner outfield guy? Left hand bat with some speed. I know he had a down year in DC last year but he had been a consistent .300 hitter the couple years prior to that.

I also like Tyson Ross. MLB radio was saying this morning he is looking for around 9 million a year. I know he is coming off injury, but we have decent depth in the rotation and he could give us a real boost down the stretch if healthy.

9 minutes ago, jsn5688 said:

I think there is still signings that could be made to fill holes with quality players without draining the farm system again. 

What's about Ben Revere as a lead off/corner outfield guy? Left hand bat with some speed. I know he had a down year in DC last year but he had been a consistent .300 hitter the couple years prior to that.

I also like Tyson Ross. MLB radio was saying this morning he is looking for around 9 million a year. I know he is coming off injury, but we have decent depth in the rotation and he could give us a real boost down the stretch if healthy.

Ross is injured. Revere can not throw. 

15 minutes ago, jsn5688 said:

I don't want a bad hitter getting the most plate appearances on the team. Sure, he hit .300 a few times, but he doesn't get on base enough to mask his complete lack of any pop. He's a bad offensive player coming off of an absolute disaster. I'm fine with a cheap flyer on him, but not counting on him to be anything more than a bottom of the order hitting 4th outfielder.

17 hours ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Dan and Buck only have these two years on their contract. If that does not get extended, they will be going for it, as much as payroll allows it. If they get extended, things could change.

They are going to try and win, now, regardless of how long they have on their contract left.

12 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

They are going to try and win, now, regardless of how long they have on their contract left.

I agree that's what they should be doing, but they don't seem to be making much of an effort to go about it.  Right now this team is worse then last year.  Even if they brought Trumbo and Alvarez back, it's a push, and that isn't enough to get it done, IMO.  They've got to get better, and I'm not sure how they really do that, short of signing EE to DH and trading Brach and several prospects for JD Martinez.  Now THAT would be an improved team from last year, one that could realistically challenge Boston.  Unfortunately we all know that's just not going to happen.  *sigh*

Archived