Sign Bourn and Pagan and presto we have an outfield

FanSince88

29 minutes ago, Babypowder said:

Rasmus and Bourn were pretty close to equally terrible at the plate last season. Bourn has been a bad player for 3 straight years. I don't want either Rasmus or Revere much either, but both would be better options than Bourn to me.

Except Rasmus will demand a lot more more money 

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been advocating signing Revere to lead off and play left (he's actually good defensively except for the arm and he certainly has speed, plus I think he's in for a big rebound year after being hurt all last season). They could move Kim to DH, keeping his high OPB bat in the lineup while upgrading defensively. Then sign somebody else to play right field. Bourn played very well for the Orioles after coming over, so I would have no problem with him in right if it comes down to it. Pagan would be fine on a one-year contract too, but I'm not sure I'd want to sign both of them. But hopefully they can pull off a trade for somebody a little better.

As for Dariel Alvarez, they should stop fooling around and make him a pitcher. It's becoming more and more obvious that all the other clubs were right about his offensive limitations and despite how the Orioles have hyped him they don't really seem to believe their own hype.

9 minutes ago, POR said:

Bourn has only played 44 games in his career in RF.  Pagan has played 90 games in RF in his career.  

I stand corrected, you are right.  However, Pagan hasn't played an inning in RF since 2010.  How's Pagan's arm these days -- seriously, does have still have a decent arm?  If so then maybe he could play in right.  I just assumed he hadn't been playing RF lately because his arm isn't what it used to be but maybe I'm wrong.  

Just now, Moondoggie said:

I've been advocating signing Revere to lead off and play left (he's actually good defensively except for the arm and he certainly has speed, plus I think he's in for a big rebound year after being hurt all last season). They could move Kim to DH, keeping his high OPB bat in the lineup while upgrading defensively. Then sign somebody else to play right field. Bourn played very well for the Orioles after coming over, so I would have no problem with him in right if it comes down to it. Pagan would be fine on a one-year contract too, but I'm not sure I'd want to sign both of them. But hopefully they can pull off a trade for somebody a little better.

As for Dariel Alvarez, they should stop fooling around and make him a pitcher. It's becoming more and more obvious that all the other clubs were right about his offensive limitations and despite how the Orioles have hyped him they don't really seem to believe their own hype.

Why would you want a poor hitter leading off every day?

I like Rasmus as a bounce back candidate.  He seems to perform well every other year.  Solid defense in right and he will come cheap.  I like Pagan too.  Rasmus/Rickard platoon in right and Pagan as the full time LFer with Kim/Mancini platooning at DH.  I could live with that.  

2 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

I like Rasmus as a bounce back candidate.  He seems to perform well every other year.  Solid defense in right and he will come cheap.  I like Pagan too.  Rasmus/Rickard platoon in right and Pagan as the full time LFer with Kim/Mancini platooning at DH.  I could live with that.  

How would you compare Rasmus with Bourn defensively in right?  (I legitimately don't know who would be better).  

Would Rasmus agree to a 2 year deal or less?

7 minutes ago, FanSince88 said:

How would you compare Rasmus with Bourn defensively in right?  (I legitimately don't know who would be better).  

Would Rasmus agree to a 2 year deal or less?

Probably better.  He had a 1.8 DWAR last year and has played an adequate CF very recently.  

Whether or not Rasmus' d is better than Bourn he certainly has more offensive upside.  Rasmus was .206.286.355.641 last year so I think he can be had on a one year deal, probably similar to Bourn.  

10 minutes ago, Babypowder said:

Why would you want a poor hitter leading off every day?

Other than last year Revere has been a prototypical lead off hitter. I'd love to give him a chance in LF and move Kim to a platoon at DH with Mancini. Count me as one that is crossing their fingers for Revere.

27 minutes ago, POR said:

Michael Bourn was released twice last year and you want to give him seven million dollars for 2017.    I would not be surprised for he ends up signing a minor league deal with a spring training invite.  Five years ago he was a decent player based mostly on speed.  

You're probably right, 1/7 is probably too high for Bourn after taking a closer look at his stats.  He really was awful at the plate in 2015, wasn't he?  Sub-.300 SLG -- OUCH!  

Still, I think 1/4 with a team option for 2018 might be fair.  

4 minutes ago, oriole said:

Other than last year Revere has been a prototypical lead off hitter. I'd love to give him a chance in LF and move Kim to a platoon at DH with Mancini. Count me as one that is crossing their fingers for Revere.

I hear you, I'm just terrified Revere turns into Garret Atkins part deux.

1 minute ago, FanSince88 said:

I hear you, I'm just terrified Revere turns into Garret Atkins part deux.

Those players are literally nothing alike.  Completely different position and skill set.  Revere can at least run and play some defense if all else fails. 

Won't be the first time we've bought low on a vet and it's paid off.  

Just now, ChuckS said:

Those players are literally nothing alike.  Completely different position and skill set.  

Haha, yeah I know, Atkins' ghost has haunted me hard after 2009 though.  Boy was that a huge disappointment.  The broader point is I'm scared of us picking someone up who might have just flat out hit a wall and be basically done with baseball at the MLB level.  I guess that's a risk with everyone but the numbers Revere put up last year and his bum arm scare the dickens out of me.  

1 hour ago, FanSince88 said:

I would like to see this team sign two outfielders to shorter term deals.  

Number one on my list would be Pagan.  Number two would be Bourn.  Pagan is a plus defender in left.  Bourn is probably about a replacement-level defender in right.  This could take our outfield defense from awful to good.  Both could back up AJ in CF (albeit poorly).  

Could we get both of those guys for two year contracts or less?  

Would be willing to substitute Revere or Rasmus for Bourn.  Rasmus is probably a little better defensively in right but had an awful season at the plate last year.  Revere isn't really all that good defensively or offensively but at least gives you a body -- no more than 1/5 for him.  

Maybe platoon Rickard with Bourn in right.  Kim to DH and backup LF.  

Bourne surely can be had on a one  year deal. Pagan probably two. Get Pagan to lead off and Edwin to DH and go for it. Pagan, Kim, Edwin, Manny, & Davis provide good OBP

3 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Those players are literally nothing alike.  Completely different position and skill set.  Revere can at least run and play some defense if all else fails. 

Won't be the first time we've bought low on a vet and it's paid off.  

Doesn't always pay off, look at De Aza.

Archived