80 - 100 Million Dollar Payroll

webbrick2010

FWIW, the Orioles were right at average in terms of team age in 2016 on offense (28.4), and slightly below average as a pitching staff (27.9)(8th youngest of the 30 teams).     When you look at the teams that are young, they're almost all bad teams.   The good teams that have young lineups (Houston 26.4 and Cubs 27.4) have older pitching staffs (28.9 and 29.9).     

8 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

Would anyone besides me like to see the O's have a 80-100 Million dollar pay roll with a 15-20 % reduction in ticket prices.

I have been against every O's extension/contract in the past 5 years starting with Hardy and continuing thru Davis

I'd prefer to watch a team of under 25 players with potential to be stars than a team of Hardy, Davis, Jones, O'day, Ubaldo, Gallardo, Miley, who are all past their prime. And now we are looking, because we have no farm system at adding more past their prime fringe players like Revere, or Davis. I'd rather watch a hungry young team that has the potential to develop into something special, even is they have a couple 95 loss seasons. Anyone else share my frustrations of this system of chasing a WC with not thought given to developing a core that could actually win a WS?  

Nope.  I prefer winning over losing.  

14 hours ago, tntoriole said:

Nope.  I prefer winning over losing.  

And if you win the wild card then you have a chance to win the World Series.  At my age, I am not interested in watching 60 to 80 win teams. Ever again. I am absolutely ok with folks who want that migrating as fans. 

42 minutes ago, weams said:

And if you win the wild card then you have a chance to win the World Series.  At my age, I am not interested in watching 60 to 80 win teams. Ever again. I am absolutely ok with folks who want that migrating as fans. 

There seem to be a lot of posters who think that if we were willing to endure 3-5 seasons of 60-70 win teams, we could build a team that is more likely to win the World Series than the current model.   But it seems to me that for every team like the Cubs who manage to do this successfully, there are 5-10 teams who try that approach and don't build a team any better than the Orioles.    And there are plenty of World Series teams that just seize the opportunity even though they weren't the best team during the season.  

32 minutes ago, Frobby said:

There seem to be a lot of posters who think that if we were willing to endure 3-5 seasons of 60-70 win teams, we could build a team that is more likely to win the World Series than the current model.   But it seems to me that for every team like the Cubs who manage to do this successfully, there are 5-10 teams who try that approach and don't build a team any better than the Orioles.    And there are plenty of World Series teams that just seize the opportunity even though they weren't the best team during the season.  

Yeah, I was watching part of the "snow game" (opening day 2003) yesterday, and it struck just how terrible the Orioles' lineup was, in comparison to our current team.  Rebuilding ain't easy.  The rich teams will always be rich, and can go into "buy the pennant" mode at any given time.  We really need to stay the course and try to win while we can, rather than speed up the necessity to enter another 14 years of wandering in the forest.

Archived