At What Age Does A Prospect Cease To Be A Prospect?

ELMERO

Just looking at the rosters of Norfolk, Bowie and Frederick and wondering why there are so many players 25 or older taking up roster space.  This, of course, is a loaded, or perhaps, stupid question, but why keep these guys, who have zero chance of making "the show", hanging around?  Also, why are younger players coddled so much?  Can't our personnel staff tell if a guy can play or not by the time they're 20-21?  What do the O's have, 5 or 6 players they think might make it?  Let the young guys play every day to hone their craft.  Don't hold them back for the sake of playing guys who should be car salesmen or dish washers.  I know, I'm "beating a dead horse", but.........

6 minutes ago, ELMERO said:

Just looking at the rosters of Norfolk, Bowie and Frederick and wondering why there are so many players 25 or older taking up roster space.  This, of course, is a loaded, or perhaps, stupid question, but why keep these guys, who have zero chance of making "the show", hanging around?  Also, why are younger players coddled so much?  Can't our personnel staff tell if a guy can play or not by the time they're 20-21?  What do the O's have, 5 or 6 players they think might make it?  Let the young guys play every day to hone their craft.  Don't hold them back for the sake of playing guys who should be car salesmen or dish washers.  I know, I'm "beating a dead horse", but.........

Joseph didn't make it until he was 28.  So exceptions do exists. 

Number5 is correct in what he said. 

I'll go a step further, most of each team is just there to help those handful that might make it. 

1 minute ago, Number5 said:

There are nowhere near enough true major league prospects to fill out the rosters of all of the minor league teams in America.  Players are needed in order to have the minor leagues.

Brandon Wood was the greatest "Prospect."  Just playing at the AAA level is a big deal. Even if you are 30 before you get there. That does not mean you will have MLB success without PEDs. 

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Joseph didn't make it until he was 28.  So exceptions do exists. 

Number5 is correct in what he said. 

I'll go a step further, most of each team is just there to help those handful that might make it. 

Hey, a year or two in the Bigs is a real big deal. Caleb can always be proud. 

13 minutes ago, weams said:

Brandon Wood was the greatest "Prospect."  Just playing at the AAA level is a big deal. Even if you are 30 before you get there. That does not mean you will have MLB success without PEDs. 

Shortstop of the future.

And going back to the OP, you have older guys in AAA that aren't prospects but serve the MLB team when injuries come up.

Just now, backwardsk said:

Shortstop of the future.

And going back to the OP, you have older guys in AAA that aren't prospects but serve the MLB team when injuries come up.

And you have big guys like Colabello who 'roid it up and get their year or two. 

Archived