Bench production must improve in 2017

Frobby

2 hours ago, UpstateNYfan said:

I am not sure if that is true with Joseph. He may be a guy that just needs regular AB's to  be a least average. I think Buck is pretty set with his 7 guys and not overly worried about his bench players being ready. I think some of the guys at AAA and AA are more "ready" offensively than the O's bench players. Buck is pretty much a go by the "book" guy, he looks for the guy that will give him D more closely than a quality AB.

Hi-D Janish probably being Buck's first alternative to Flaherty is another reason to hope Ryan does well. I was not as impressed by Bourn's D as some seem to be--although he definitely made some good plays--and so I wonder how committed Buck is to trying to get him.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, 25 Nuggets said:

Alright then, how do the Orioles increase bench production?  They're counting on Flaherty again it seems -- if he posts career average numbers next season it'll be a minor improvement, but will he?  And a number of posters here seem fine with Caleb Joseph as the #2 C... are they really going to rely on him again?

If the Orioles sign two more guys -- an OF and someone to play DH -- the bench would probably look like this:

#2 C - Joseph or Pena

IF - Ryan Flaherty

OF - Joey Rickard or Aneury Tavarez

DH/1B - Trey Mancini

Is this acceptable?  I would think someone like Luis Valbuena would really help the team, even if it means they don't sign that DH (Mancini can be primary).

Kim might often end up on the bench as well, if he is platooned in LF or as DH.

Archived