Is Dan Duquette thinking of Trumbo as an outfielder?

wildcard

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Why should it be restricted to rule V guys?

Folks are saying that part of the issue Rickard had on defense was due to adjusting to multi-tiered stadiums.  That would be the same for any outfielder making a ML debut.

Buck talked about it more than once in late March/early April.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Why should it be restricted to rule V guys?

Folks are saying that part of the issue Rickard had on defense was due to adjusting to multi-tiered stadiums.  That would be the same for any outfielder making a ML debut.

Fair enough, any ML debut OFer. But guys from AA. My point was they have never played in these kind of stadiums. These cathedrals.

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

My point is, I haven't heard of a month+ long adjustment period for them before this spring.

There are a number of bigger AAA stadiums.    Almost all of them are 10-17,000 seats.   

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

There are a number of bigger AAA stadiums.    Almost all of them are 10-17,000 seats.   

Look I'm not saying that it isn't an adjustment.  But weeks?  A month?

Nick got promoted straight from AA, did he take a month to adjust to the stadium?

14 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Look I'm not saying that it isn't an adjustment.  But weeks?  A month?

Nick got promoted straight from AA, did he take a month to adjust to the stadium?

Actually, Nick started out in LF and struggled there (IMO -- the stats don't support this).    He got moved to RF when Gibbons got hurt and that was that.   I couldn't say if the wind pattern issue affected him or not.    I certainly don't recall the issue ever being mentioned before Rickard.  

Joey Rickard had a Rtzhm -5 Rating at Home in 43 Games Played. (Total Zone Home)

Joey Rickard had a Rtzrd -1 Rating on the rod in 42 Games Played. (Total Zone Road)

One of the issues that I have with the Defensive Metrics is they make ZERO Adjustments for Positioning by Management.  All of them make a general description of the fielding zones and what is caught by players in those zones.  None of the metrics allow for the defensive alignment that Baltimore uses at home and this was brought up when Nick Markakis was rated so poorly.  It also has a factor in the Adam Jones rating as he plays more shallow than does most Center Fielders.  I wonder if this also has to do with the poorer rating that Joey Rickard???

3 hours ago, thezeroes said:

Joey Rickard had a Rtzhm -5 Rating at Home in 43 Games Played. (Total Zone Home)

Joey Rickard had a Rtzrd -1 Rating on the rod in 42 Games Played. (Total Zone Road)

Once again the bias against Orioles outfielders at Camden Yards shows.

But really, last year we had bad defense out there.

17 hours ago, El Gordo said:

Until you have at least two years of data the metrics are pretty useless. Ask Drungo, That would be about 2500 IN. So basing anything on 503 IN is silly. As to my eye, test I agree with Frobby and Buck, he has the tools to be a good OF and there is a period of adjustment toplaying in ML parks. Don't understand your point about Reimold but based on 2752 IN I'd say he's a sub par fielder.

503 innings of data is not a lot but it is the best you have. I would not say anything up to 2499 is useless and all of a sudden at 2500 you have an accurate assessment. 

My eye test says he is pretty fast but otherwise does not have great instincts and arm is average or below. OK going side to side but seems to have trouble around the wall on balls over his head.  Better than Trumbo, but a better fit for LF. 

Buck as well as most on this board have already written off Kim based on a similar amount of data. 

12 hours ago, thezeroes said:

One of the issues that I have with the Defensive Metrics is they make ZERO Adjustments for Positioning by Management.  All of them make a general description of the fielding zones and what is caught by players in those zones.  None of the metrics allow for the defensive alignment that Baltimore uses at home and this was brought up when Nick Markakis was rated so poorly.  It also has a factor in the Adam Jones rating as he plays more shallow than does most Center Fielders.  I wonder if this also has to do with the poorer rating that Joey Rickard???

I think all defensive stats are still noisy and include human bias. We have the technology. We should use it. 

3 minutes ago, weams said:

I think all defensive stats are still noisy and include human bias. We have the technology. We should use it. 

I'll heartily agree that pitch framing includes bias but outfield defense?  How so?

I also think they are using the technology and things will be greatly improved in a few years.

43 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'll heartily agree that pitch framing includes bias but outfield defense?  How so?

I also think they are using the technology and things will be greatly improved in a few years.

They still use live stringers to chart the plays.  So. Flash rules. 

Archived