Various Orioles related FanGraphs articles

ArtVanDelay

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I had no idea she was such a big Trumbo fan.

;)

I too was surprised by how sharp her comments there were.  The other bit that was interesting to me were her comments on how much Jones liked Austin Hays and that Hays was someone he'd be cool moving for.  Before that I wholly thought Hays lacked the Boras prestige factor for that eventual accomplishment.

2 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

I too was surprised by how sharp her comments there were.  The other bit that was interesting to me were her comments on how much Jones liked Austin Hays and that Hays was someone he'd be cool moving for.  Before that I wholly thought Hays lacked the Boras prestige factor for that eventual accomplishment.

That was a good tidbit.  It almost sounded as if she expected Jones to be here past this season since I don't honestly see Jones being moved off Center in 2018.

• 2 weeks later...

“Generally speaking, it seems as though Peter Angelos is written off as difficult, eccentric, and cheap. His actions are often dismissed out of hand. Perhaps it is true that he is difficult, eccentric, and cheap. But it also may be possible that he’s covered in this dismissive fashion because he doesn’t fit the mold that the other owners want him to fit, and that viewpoint filters down to fans and the media. Perhaps Angelos deserves more benefit of the doubt than he’s been extended in the past”

The team was performing like a legitimate pennant contender when the baseball strike began in August 1994. As one of the newest members of the elite group of baseball owners, Angelos was expected to abide by the owners’ decisions quietly without offering any alternatives or using his experience with labor law to negotiate with the players’ union. Angelos did not like that arrangement and he did not particularly care if the world found out.

Angelos’ stance became known almost immediately. When the other owners signed a document cancelling the rest of the 1994 baseball season, including the World Series, Angelos refused to sign it because it blamed the players for the impasse. When the owners formed a committee to negotiate the strike, they did not include Angelos, despite his vast experience as a labor-management negotiator. When talks between the players and the owners stalled in December 1994, and the owners voted to impose a salary cap, Angelos was one of three dissenters to the arrangement. What brought him into the public eye, however, was his refusal to field replacement players should the strike last into the 1995 major league baseball season.

Angelos announced his decision about replacement players early in 1995 and was immediately hailed in blue-collar Baltimore as a champion of the worker. For his part, the maverick owner saw his choice as nothing more than sound business. As his fellow owners mulled what action to take against Angelos—everything from a $250,000 fine for each game missed to forcing the sale of the Orioles—the strike was finally settled in time for regular season play with major leaguers. Angelos had made a statement with his stance, however, and a nation of baseball fans responded. He was deluged with mail from all over the country and treated with near-reverence by Orioles fans.

That is the good side of Mr. Angelos.  That, and his defense of the franchise under MLB's pressure to install the Nationals, resulting in MASN and its subsequent dispute.  Some of the other owners must not stand him.  (but really they don't care cause it's all "just business")

Nice call by anyone who pegged Valencia for UI. Per Roch:

The Orioles continue to check on available utility infielders - Ryan Flaherty’s opt-out date with the Phillies is March 22 - and may take a look at Danny Valencia at shortstop. They aren’t enthralled with the other in-house candidates for various reasons.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2018/03/notes-on-trumbo-rule-5s-mountcastle-and-more.html

16 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Nice call by anyone who pegged Valencia for UI. Per Roch:

The Orioles continue to check on available utility infielders - Ryan Flaherty’s opt-out date with the Phillies is March 22 - and may take a look at Danny Valencia at shortstop. They aren’t enthralled with the other in-house candidates for various reasons.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2018/03/notes-on-trumbo-rule-5s-mountcastle-and-more.html

Interesting (and ridiculous), but why is this in a thread about fangraphs articles?

Archived